Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
29 posts Page 2 of 3
Joe & everyone else I am sorry for a mistake I typed.
I said that my pixel dimensions were 1200 x 1600 300 res 4 x 6 inches.
On checking they are all 1200 x 1800 300res 4 x 6 inches.
On checking further Walmart has in some cases took the border off on all 4 sides in other prints it has cropped off the border completly on both the 4 in sides & left a narrow border along the 6 in sides.
I have far more serious things to depress me than what Walmart has done & at the present moment I do not understand at all why this happens.
I used to print most of my photos at home but this meant cutting around the printed 4 x 6 photos.
My husband bless him used to do the cutting for me his hands & eye sight were much better than mine.
Maybe when I am not feeling so stressed I can try to figure out what to do so that Walmart Photo Centre Printer does not chop off any old which way it feels like doing.
Perhaps if I follow Judy's tip from Ric Cisson it may work out OK .
Thank you all for your help . Sorry if I have wasted anybodys time.
Storm
Storm i really dont think i will ever fully understand things. But i made a template 1228 x 1818. (3.90 x 5.85) . I drag my photo onto it and put the white border around it because otherwise i would have to crop out something. May not be the right way to do it but it works for me.
wally.jpg
wally.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 742 times
I have sent Storm my response, but for the benefit of those that might be interested, it is a fact, when "exacting" to the Noritsu or Frontiers, you need to think in pixels, not inches. These systems do not recognize inches, I won't go technical, only to say, the measurements that really matter to these systems is pixels, because of "bleed". So, the key is, and I emphasize this, the key is pixel dimension, not document dimension. Use your crop tool set pixel dimensions, not in inches, for a more accurate "exacting mode. I see some of you have noted a "short side" is in play in your prints, that's the nature of the beast on these systems, and again I won't go into the tech side of the discussion. If you are "exacting" an image to a "system 4x6" you have to account for bleed. On the Noritsu 3705f, the pixel dimension for a "4x6" is 1228 x 1842 @300ppi.

Think pixels, not inches.

Ric Cisson
Glad to see you take part in our forum Ric!
And thanks for your explanations :thanks:
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Ric, thanks for joining the forum and the explanation. The exact dimension in pixels is the type of information that is needed on nearly all web sites where pictures are to be uploaded for printing. This gives a much better idea of how many pixels will be in 'bleed' area and should not contain any critical information such as text or in this case a frame.
Joe

Joe's Place
My Zenfolio

Life is too short to drink cheap wine!
Redrock wrote: I have sent Storm my response, but for the benefit of those that might be interested, it is a fact, when "exacting" to the Noritsu or Frontiers, you need to think in pixels, not inches. These systems do not recognize inches, I won't go technical, only to say, the measurements that really matter to these systems is pixels, because of "bleed". So, the key is, and I emphasize this, the key is pixel dimension, not document dimension. Use your crop tool set pixel dimensions, not in inches, for a more accurate "exacting mode. I see some of you have noted a "short side" is in play in your prints, that's the nature of the beast on these systems, and again I won't go into the tech side of the discussion. If you are "exacting" an image to a "system 4x6" you have to account for bleed. On the Noritsu 3705f, the pixel dimension for a "4x6" is 1228 x 1842 @300ppi.

Think pixels, not inches.

Ric Cisson

Thanks for the info, Ric. I'm disappointed though - I thought Photoshop could figure this out for us. Nothing is ever as easy as I hope!

Courtney
Welcome Ric and Thank you.
Did you notice this?
At 300 ppi, the theorical pixel count is 1200x1800 pixels.
The required pixel count for printing on Fujitsu is 1228x1842, still the same aspect ratio (2:3) but you need to add 2.33333.... % more pixels on each dimension, which will be lost in printing.

So, it is correct to think in aspect ratio, provided you know how many pixels will be lost for bleed. By the way, the above pixel rule is true for a 2"x3" in print; you have to know the pixel rule for 4"x6" (20x30 cm) prints depending on the according bleed. Ric, I suppose it may be less than 2.33% ?

To check this, you can take a 1200x1800 pixels picture, increase canvas size by 2.333... % (2% practically) which will add a border of the color of your choice. You'll then see how precise the printing service is.
If you don't see borders, and if not getting your pictures cropped is your choice, the easiest way to resize is probably this 2% increase in canvas size.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel, very good information i am trying to digest it all. But for now i just use the template i made or Wally messes mine up. But i am hoping that eventually i can understand and resize properly.
Michel, don't get too cozy with your theory, with other sizes, you can throw that away. You are correct for 4x6, though. But again, do not seek "security" with that thought, it won't always work. The Fuji Frontiers' and the Noritsu's depending upon driver updates incorporated, have been around for the most part, since 2002, the driver updates came out randomly. Depending upon what corporate decides for Wal-Mart, as to which stores get what updates, much can change between like systems. I pointed out to Storm in my PM, that the Noritsu base 3705 platform had been around for a number of years, the info I provided is general as it is a few years old, therefore, consider a good starting point. I got her into the ballpark, it is now fine tuning by her that will find her particular "seat" within the ballpark.

So again, don't try and outthink the technician, trust me when I say that. I retired from the industry a little over 2 years ago. I have seen, and still know of the variations that can and do happen in the independent labs as opposed to the "box-stores", but I am well aware what they are confronted with in their decision to update their drivers. So, I want to keep it simple for you, don't try to figure it out on the tech side. I still have many of the settings in my head. I went to school with Fuji training to learn their systems, and went to school with Noritsu as well because I had to deal with a Fuji and a Noritsu system in my lab. We could not afford tech visits, because we were distant to Phoenix, so I went to their facilities to learn how of the nuts and bolts and the software. So again, to spend too much time on your theory, could be dangerous, it works for 4x6 on the Noritsu, but not on the Fuji. - Ric
29 posts Page 2 of 3