Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
10 posts Page 1 of 1
I am working on a big project of photgraphing Iris for our botanical garden. As I take the new photos and adjust, crop and save them to a folder is there a way to be able to put them in alphabetical order other than manual putting them in order? I have over 250 files in the folder right now and it would so much easier to find things if in order. I am using windows Vista on a PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tina B
My first thought was so simple, I probably don't understand the problem :D
Assuming alphabetical refers to the name of the kind of iris, why not simply rename each image to the plant's name? Windows will automatically sort by name. You can reset it to sort by other things but 'filename' is the default.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty
I have named each photo by its fower name. As I add them to the file they are just everywhere and not in order. How do I find the default settings for the files? This is driving me crazy.
Tina B
Tina,

What are you looking at to see your files? Most applications will let you sort by double clicking on the column heading, in this case, filename.

Courtney
Here is what I have. I processed my photos and then did save as and gave them all a name. saved to an empty folder on the desk top. the photos I would like to have in alphabetic order inside the folder. It has to be something simple. I thought that maybe when I closed and opend the file they would somehow just be in order. Not what happened. looks like I just shook the file and they all landed where ever.
Tina
Not a big deal I guess I can sit and arrange them all individually, but I just wanted to know how to do it the easy way if there was one. :puter:
Tina,

You need to get the folder into the Win XP equivalent of Show Details. This will allow you to see the filename, size, dates, etc.

Then click on the Name column header and it will sort Alphabetically. Click again and it will sort reverse alphabetical.

Based on Win7, you should be able to either click on View, then from the drop-down menu, click on Details.

Also, on the right upper hand side there should be 3 buttons, a ? (Help), a Preview Pane and a More Options button. This More Options allows you to do the same thing as using the view menu.

Although Microsoft has changed the way it looks, it is pretty well the same as WinXP and Vista.

HTH.
John
Tina, this is what John is telling you looks like:

1. Click the little "view icon" in upper right corner of windows explorer
2. Use the drop-down menu to click on "Details"
3. Put your cursor on the column heading that says "Name" and, if necessary, click to get it into "ascending" of "descending" alphabetical order -- whichever you want -- watch how the list changes and stop clicking when you have what you want.
4. Go back to the view icon and click to return to whatever view you want; I happen to like the thumbnail view.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank You
Finally with all your help I got it done. I just never looked at the little drop down menu that organizes the folders. How much of a senior moment can I take?
Thank you Rusty, John and Courtney!!!!!!!!! What would we do with out each other ?
:thanks: Tina B
And another possibility is to click on the View menu - View, Sort by and select the folder sort directly drom whatever "view" you currently have - Icons, File Size, etc. The More option at the bottom lets you add additional fields that are possible for files - I frequently want to look at a folder by date created when I am hunting for something I did last . . . .
John
John
You always have so many good Ideas. Thank you for Sharing with all of us when we get lost.
Tina B
10 posts Page 1 of 1