Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
6 posts Page 1 of 1
I am glad to report that everybody in my family has judged that the quality of the PrestoPhoto wedding book of my daughter was the best...
After my daughter had beed slightly disappointed with the book she ordered here in France, I found the reason was she had been using too dark photos for her layouts. That was my fault: she had used the first edited versions I did in hurry on a non calibrated laptop. So, after getting my new PVA display and the Spyder 3 pro, I created my own book with newly edited pictures. The result by our French supplier was really very good, but I wondered if PrestoPhoto could do better.
Creating the book was easier than with other suppliers (I already tested 3 of them). I chose the 30x30 cm version with softcover in premium quality (7 inks) and thicker paper. Not being in a hurry, I chose the standard economy postage which resulted in a lower price than the one from France!
Now to evaluate the result in quality: the paper thickness was still inferior to the one in my French book, but it was perfect with the softcover. The color quality was judged still better: more subtle and 'film like' colours and a distinct advantage on highlights and deep shadows, which is very important for the white or light dresses and dark suits.
My advice: for standard landscapes or travel shots, the premium versions may not be needed, but for weddings, they are a must :thumbsup:
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel thanks for the information. I still am sitting on my hands about making a book i keep procrastinating. However seeing the results that you and a few others members are achieving just puts me one step closer to actually making the book.
ladybug wrote: Michel thanks for the information. I still am sitting on my hands about making a book i keep procrastinating. However seeing the results that you and a few others members are achieving just puts me one step closer to actually making the book.

Michel: Thanks for the info. It was very helpful.

Judy: I understand how you feel. I'm in the same boat with my second book [family history book]. For some reason I just can't get going on that project.
Russ and Judy: I understand that the first book is the hardest... However, you both have all the Photoshop or Elements skills to create wonderful books. Being able to create freely your own layouts is a big advantage over 'ready to use' layouts, and a big fun.
The difficult part in planning a book, at least for me, is to write a 'scenario' and select the right pictures for each page (or better: double page). This may be difficult when I get nearly 2.000 shots from different shooters, like what I am attempting to do presently with our last two weeks in the Isle of La Réunion in the Indian Ocean for the religious wedding of my daughter.
For this, there are useful and even necessary tasks I can start now: general editing, tagging and culling, which implies the use of the organizer (LR would be still better...) The tagging should help not only to find easily persons, locations etc. but also to help for an ulterior division into phases and possibly pages. In the Organizer, temporary albums may be used to refine the selection and order for different pages.
What you can do in parallel with this editing and organizing is writing a scenario freely and independently.
When you feel the project is about ripe, decide which kind of book, size and orientation you want.
At this time, I generally create a 'paper' for the background to get a sense of unity for the book. The montage of each page (or double page) should be dependent on the choice of pictures: it's amusing to change position, order, size and orientation of each picture. I am not an expert in layouts and digital scrapbooking but I consider the photos should be the focal point of the page rather than my editing skils...
While the book is being created, I keep all pages in PSD format to keep all layers and the ability to change photos or texts (spelling errors...) and I do not create the final jpegs to be uploaded until I am satisfied with the project.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
I have used several different book publisher and pleased the most with the PrestoPhoto books have received. The wedding I just did, I took over 900 photos between the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception. I had some free book offers that I had to do quickly as they were going to expire only a few days after I got home. Many of the pages I used quick pages that fit the wedding colors. I know these will not be the best books but they will be good. I fully plan to take more time with another book for myself as a portfolio of sorts and have it printed through PrestoPhoto.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Michel, I with you 100%. The way you describe making your book is exactly how I made my first book [my only book to date].

In case anyone is interested, you can view that book at the site below.

http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/48523/48524
6 posts Page 1 of 1