Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
6 posts Page 1 of 1
My 7 year old Desktop is on its last legs and I need to replace it soon with another DELL. I mostly use my computer these days for accessing my daughter's on-line home school and doing stuff in PSE.

I've never been a fan of the touchpad on laptops and find it very awkward when I've tried to use it on my hubby's laptop with PSE. I've seen the add-on mouse for laptops and wondered how responsive they were.

What do you think - is PSE better run on a laptop or a desktop?
I can't say which is better as I'm just using the laptop and PSE. The wireless mouse is just the same as far as responsiveness as on the desktop. Just got a new one that is battery operated and the USB plugin is small enough to leave in even when travelling. Got a Logitech, takes AA batteries and I use the rechargeable ones.

That said, many people seem to think it better on the desktop for color. True it can make a difference depending how the screen is tilted.
In general, desktops are faster than laptops - the hard disc is bigger, spins faster (7200rpm vs 5600rpm), etc. Depending on what you are doing, you may or may not notice the difference.

A new laptop of almost any configuration will perform faster than a 7 year old desktop.

The external mouse option is good - I have one for my laptop and it is a blue-tooth based one and what plugs into the laptop is the width of the usb port and sticks out less than 1/4 inch, so not bulky.

If you are using the laptop keyboard, I would suggest getting a laptop that will allow you to disable the touchpad - my HP has a button for that, others have kinky keyboard combinations to enable/disable the touchpad - ask at the store and make sure they demo it for you (also a useful test to see just how familiar they are with the product they are selling.)
John
Jane,
I've been using a wireless mouse with my Dell 1735 laptop since it was new. No problems at all. Logictech
makes a fine product. The mini transmitter plugs into one of the USB ports and is barely noticeable. The response is every bit as good as a wired mouse or touch pad. I'm not a real fan of touch pads either. And the best part is that it works just fine with either PS CS4 or PSE 7 or 9.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
thanks for the input everyone - didn't even consider the difference in screen.... hmmm something else to consider...
I, too, use a wireless mouse on my laptop. I use the desktop only for printing these days. My laptop is stationary and serves the same needs that the old desktop used to fill. It runs PSE 9 with no problems, a wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse, a card reader, and a flash drive. No problems at all with the laptop and I can't tell a nickel's worth of difference between the color on the laptop as opposed to the desktop. PSE work is done on the laptop and transported via flash drive to the desktop for printing. Good luck with your new computer.
6 posts Page 1 of 1