Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
14 posts Page 1 of 2
Yesterday I was reading about CS5's unsharpen mask.

One expert said that he almost always uses the settings 60-20-0 which is the top photo below.

Another expert says he almost always uses 198-1.2-0 which is the lower photo below.

Both photos look good to me, but I can see the difference.

Which one looks best to you? Thanks in advance for your input - Russ

Russ that is a tough one but i think i am leaning towards the softer 2nd one. Both beautiful though.
Judy, thanks for the input. My DW likes the top one. I'm undecided. Maybe something between the two?

I tried between the two but didn't like it. So I placed with the sliders and got this.

Russ, I really like all three.....but.....I prefer the third rendition.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
I also vote for the third one posted.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Ok i think the coloring on the third one is what my eyes prefer.
Judy, Rusty and Chas: Thanks for the feedback. I also like the 3rd one best; however, the color in the first two were actually the color of the rose.

In case you are interested, the settings on the 3rd one were 77-7-0. For the past few years I've been using 60-20-0 because that's what the experts recommend at the time. Yesterday I read, from the same experts, they now use 198-1.2-0 almost all the time.

There are way too many settings to play with for each and every photo. I will use 77-7-0 for a while to see how it works on different photographs. Maybe I'll discover what settings work best depending on what's in the photo?

Thanks again - Russ
Russ, I like the third one better but understand your concern about the color. Hope you don't mind but, I played with the hue and saturation a bit and think I'm pretty close to the second rose.

Attachments

Russ, you have me at a loss. The "settings numbers" you refer to....just what do these numbers represent? I don't adhere to any particular set of settings. I just go with what looks good to me. The firs two renderings may have been the actual rose's color but I didn't care for the halo around the blossom.(Just my personal preference.)
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
chas3stix wrote: Russ, you have me at a loss. The "settings numbers" you refer to....just what do these numbers represent? I don't adhere to any particular set of settings. I just go with what looks good to me. The firs two renderings may have been the actual rose's color but I didn't care for the halo around the blossom.(Just my personal preference.) Chas

Chas, I agree with you about the halo. The photos below show the settings I was talking about. The flower in the photos below is of a hibiscus flower that I'm thinking about entering in the next contest. Getting the background black was fun. Maybe not worth the effort?

14 posts Page 1 of 2