Anything and everything about Photoshop Elements
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Betty wrote on a different thread: "I have a similar scanner & also use the restore color feature, etc. However, I haven't had the greatest success with setting black point in the scanner software (Epson Perfection V500 photo)"

Betty, do you like your Epson Perfection V500 scanner?

My DW just asked me to look into the Epson Perfection V300 for scanning negatives. After reading the reviews on both the 300 and the 500 I'm leaning towards getting the 500.

Anyone else recommend a different scanner for doing negatives and photos?

Thanks in advance - Russ
I have had good results with my Epson Perfection 4990 Photo Scanner. That is 4 years old now (no problems) and Epson has apparently discontinued the entire "Perfection" series. That scanner costs a bit over $400 new but I got a reconditioned unit from the Epson store which has the full Epson warranty, just like a new unit. Out of the box I looked and looked, couldn't see a darned thing to suggest it wasn't a brand new unit -- I paid about $100 less for a reconditioned unit. I will always go on the Epson website to see what's available reconditioned. Unfortunately, it's pretty hit or miss. I was just lucky they had the exact scanner I wanted to buy available. I looked yesterday and they don't have a single scanner listed.

The V-series apparently has a V-300, 400, 500, 600, 700 and 750. The Epson website, where they showed my 4990 as no longer available, said the V-700 was the replacement. Well, excuse me, that sucker retails for $600 at the Epson Store -- pretty rich for my blood.

Reading the advertising, it looks like the V-600 is very close to my 4990 and only costs about $200. These people are just as bad as camera makers. They constantly tweak the products and it's very difficult to figure out what makes the V-700 four hundred bucks better than the V-600.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, thanks for the tip. I will look at the 600 right away.
Russ, as Rusty mentioned, Epson has similar features model after model. I didn't notice much difference between the V500 & my older Epson (think it was 3590), which I really liked until it quit scanning. In fact, I am disappointed in the film/slide attachment for the V500. It is almost useless for my slides. Unfortunately, the film attachment from the 3590 doesn't fit the V500. I hope the newer models provide a more versatile film attachment.
What I really love about the scanner, is the ability to enlarge scanned images. So many of my inherited old photos are tiny. It's wonderful to enlarge them enough to touch up & print. It's so exiting & rewarding to see the images come back from an almost-gone state to something to cherish.

Good luck & let us know which scanner you decide to purchase.

just in case this might be helpful for someone:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/gSea ... Cookie=yes

refurbished:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... 1B198011-N
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Thanks for all the help and info. After reading everything I could find I have decided on the V600 scanner.

Of course, I have to get my DW's approval because it's for her and she had a cousin recommend the V300. That being said, Donna always, well almost always, goes with my advice.

I'll let you know what she says when she gets home. She's out shopping right now - hopefully not for a scanner.
Russ, I'll be interested to learn what you think of the results from the new scanner.
Betty
Win 8.1, PS CC, Canon bridge P&S
Betty, I will [for sure] let you know.

I just got the okay from my DW.

The new scanner has been ordered and it should be here by this time next week - maybe a day or two longer.
I just received an email saying that the scanner is on the truck and will be delivered today.
Way to go Russ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'm really happy for you.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Really Chas? Or are you just pulling my leg?

It did come today, but I had plans on working out, so I'll hook it up tomorrow.
12 posts Page 1 of 2