Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Here we go.

Now that the snow is gone, I had this problem of shooting in bright sunshine and snow. Is there a good way to get a good picture out of my camera without serious post processing? I shoot raw and really like to use A.

John
John
John,

Even when shooting RAW, it is important to have good exposure. The problem is ice and snow overwhelms the light metering of just about any other camera and tends to underexpose the image. Some cameras have a "Snow" setting, but the best solution is to have a gray card (can be pretty expensive) or as an alternative, the inside of most camera bags use a neutral gray.

The idea is you line up the gray material so that the light falls on it in the same direction (with relation to the actual object and camera) and take an exposure. (Or set an exposure lock), then shoot your image.

Check out your histogram and reset/check occasionally as conditions change.
John
Sorry Julie, you're John. See why I have so much trouble operating a camera? Thats how old folks get.

John
John
John,

This is another John, not Julie. Or, if you wish, you can call me confused!
John
John

I'm confused. I sent one other post that called you Julie, then tried to let you know you're John, not Julie. Looks like you didn't get that one. Anyway I think we're straight now. Gotta remember to take my meds every day.

John
John
O.K., not a problem. Did my answer give you whar you wanted?
John
Sorry John, thought I had answered this. The snows gone now,along with the problem but your answer made sense to me. Will try the grey card thing.

Hope this forum gets a little more active.

Thanks, John
John
A beach setting may help prevent overexposure but if afterwards it will be a lot of work to see if you have enough detail left to recover.

Joe
Hey ,
So nice this post you have shred here , thanks .
9 posts Page 1 of 1