Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
I had mixed results today attempting to photograph ice sculpture. Two of my better efforts have been added to my gallery.

This is what NOT to do:

Ice-Web.jpg
Ice-Web.jpg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 981 times

The ice in that one was too milky from that angle and there wasn't enough contrast in the background. Compare with the same piece of sculpture in my gallery with a better background. Also, compare with the dolphin in my gallery, same background but that ice sparkled.

This is what ABSOLUTELY NOT to do.

Ice-Web2.jpg
Ice-Web2.jpg (140.4 KiB) Viewed 979 times

I was so interested in getting the shadow, I totally forgot it would be blah without backlight or at least a strong sidelight thru the ice.

I could have done better but it was 14 degrees, a wind was blowing in across Lake Michigan at a pretty good clip, and I wasn't properly dressed for a photo expedition! :D

Still, it was fun and any day when I learn something is a good day.

I'm not sure if the B&W conversion worked. There probably aren't enough mid-tones in that image.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
good ones Rusty. I like the color one you posted in the photo theme the best. It sure looks cold there.
Rusty, beautiful ice sculptures. Makes me want to snuggle up in my blanket. I love to see your posts here on the forum, you have fun with photos :mrgreen:
Rusty:
I have never seen ice other than what I get at the fridge, LOL.
But in a case like you discribe I will experiment and ask my wife to hold a black reflector close to the sculture to give some definition toit. Or and use a silver reflector to re-direct the backlighting toit.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
4 posts Page 1 of 1