Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
22 posts Page 1 of 3
Has anybody had good results doing this?

We had heavy fog all day today. At around 4:00PM the setting sun had dropped below the horizon, the western sky was still illuminated and smoky, silky, white fog was drifting along the ground in addition to an overall haze of fog in the air.

I got something, but it sure ain't anything to be proud of.

These were all shot at f/11 and the exposures were 4 seconds, 2 seconds and 1 second. The exposure time didn't seem to make much difference - I never did get the silky fog I was after.

Anybody got any advice for the next time I try this?

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, they are nice shots anyway. I too would be interested in any suggestions anyone has as I have not been successful at fog either.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I agree with with KIm, nice shots. We get alot of fog in the winter would also like some advice on that.
fog002.jpg
fog002.jpg (18.56 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
fog001.jpg
fog001.jpg (19.47 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
Fog tips: BRACKET like crazy. A neutral grad filter to keep fog from over exposing will help also. I often keep several exposures of the same fog image as all are good in different ways. The river shot was iso100,F22,1/30th sec no grad because water helped light forground. The zebras was iso800, F7, 1/160th sec with a 2 stop neutral grad over the sky.
Rusty,
I did a fog shot a long time ago, early in th morning, sun at my back. This was when I was a film purest. I had it developed using a standard lab process. I'll dig it out in the next couple days (it'll take me that long to locate it) and give you a view of it. Nothing has been done to enhance the photo.

Bob
FWIW - I did an article awhile back about adding fog to an image after the fact - it's here:

http://www.graficalicus.com/modules.php ... le&sid=174

It's also one of the effects in FunFotoFX 3 - "Foggy Morning"
Thanks,
good points; I'm looking forward to seeing yours, Bob.

Graffi's trick can be used not only to create, but to enhance what's already there.

fog2.jpg
fog2.jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

I used his "clouds" version

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty:
Don't take a reading of the fog take a reading of the palm of your hand then take the picture of the fog at that reading. That is what I always do when doubting the exposure, usually I get away with murder. :mrgreen:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Rusty, I forgot I like the pictures specially the B+W with contrast to the far right. I will suggest make a selection of the foreground snow and make it a bit lighter making sure the snow is darker at the edge than the paper white. That is a winner handsdown.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Rusty, very pretty photos. I love to go to the river or lake on a foggy morning, makes beautiful pictures.
22 posts Page 1 of 3