Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
44 posts Page 3 of 5
Gary,

Sure looks like you took your shot at the same stage of the eclipse as I did.

I see in my moon shots, not just tonight - all of them, exactly what you describe but I don't think it is a focus problem. I believe it's pixelation. A 300mm lens seems awfully big but that's still a very small part of the image. When cropped down it starts getting fuzzy.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
You may be right and I am using a VR lens at 300mm. I think it's got to be more than that though. It might be noise, but I took several shots at 200, 400, and 800. They all seem just a bit blurry. Perhaps it's a little of bit of this and that.

I'll have to look into what the real experts know rather than what I can speculate.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Hi people,
It was alternately overcast/hazy/atmosphery enough that I couldn't do any good tonight. Therefore I get to play expert. :D

In addition to all the other problems that have been discussed, don't forget that the Moon is a moving target, and the long exposure necessary for shadow pictures make it hard to get a sharp picture. More than one site I've read says that good eclipse photography requires a telescope with a tracking mount. Also, eclipse or not, the full moon is pretty much front lit and there aren't the shadows of craters and mountains to provide depth and texture.

Gary and Rusty, you've both done as much as can be expected without a Great Big Lens or a telescope. My most successful moon pic was shot in the Fall, with clear skies and the moon was as close to right overhead as it ever gets. I still needed a fair amount of PP to make an acceptable image.

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Steve,
I think the VR should have taken care of most of the motion blur. I was only exposing for .8 sec in the shot I posted.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Gary, were you using a tripod? If so, VR should be turned off when mounted on a tripod. Good article on the subject here:

http://digital-photography-school.com/b ... n-tripods/
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
I didn't get a single shot. It was cloudy and then I thought I would wait a little while and check again..........NOPE.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!! I fell asleep :crying:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
Hi Gary,
I don't think I explained very well in my post above. I was referring to motion blur caused by the Moon's motion. That would make it pretty tough to get a really sharp picture when using a slow shutter speed.

My camera has "shake reduction" built in to the sensor, so it supposedly works with any lens. Even with SR, I can't reliably hand-hold below about 1/10sec. Of course, I'm sort of a geezer, so maybe that's it. :roll:

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
You gotta be a real rock to hand hold at 1/10 sec and get a clear shot of anything, even with VR / IS, no matter what your age. :biggrin:

I wonder if the blurring your seeing in your moon shots is caused as much by the atmosphere as anything else. Your reaching out an awful long way to begin with, and the constant movement of the upper atmosphere is what makes the stars appear to twinkle anyway.....

Just my 1/2¢ worth.

I was at work so couldn't do any pictures, although I did take about a minute to look.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Handheld without VR rule-of-thumb is 1 divided by the focal length. At 300mm you can hand hold only down to 1/300 second. VR will buy you two stops, so maybe 1/75 second. 1/8? Not likely....
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
There is a sort of long story to this shot, so you all are going to have to listen. From my family room window it was completely cloudy outside. DH comes home and asked me why I am not taking pictures of the moon. It's cloudy, I say. He says you can see it out front. Oh nuts, I am not set up. So I grab my camera with the 60mm lens on it and run out front, Yep, there it is. So braced against a tree, I start taking pictures. I have no idea what setting this one is on but at least I got one.

44 posts Page 3 of 5