Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
44 posts Page 4 of 5
Steve and Chuck,
Yeah I was using VR in both modes (active and normal) and even without. I was using a tripod, a remote shutter release, a lens shade to remove any reflections from street lights and an eye peice cap to eliminate light coming in through the eyepeice. Now that I think it through a bit, VR probably won't work. I think that VR works like a gyro to keep the lens steady rather than compensating for any motion caused by the subject. I'll have to check out your site Chuck.

I was thinking along Gene's lines, at least as a contributing factor, but even as little as it seems to move, I think because it is in constant motion, unless you're using tele with a tracking motor there is going to be blur.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
I have commented several times about the great book my daughter gave me for Christmas, Digital Nature Photography. I quote from page 69
. . . However, we still use tripods whenever possible. In most cases, it is recommended to turn off this technology when shooting on the tripod

I can't remember whether it was elsewhere in this book, or something I read somewhere else, but the point was made that the VR(Canon IS) equipped camera/lens may try to look for something to correct when it isn't there. It's programmed to correct and, by God, it will try and try and try to make a correction. You end up with VR induced motion.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I took some pictures of the moon eclipse last night. It was very cold and I went in and out of the house with the camera, tripod and large lense on. I began shooting at 7:30 and kept it up until 11:30.
You can view them at the following link.
http://www.sheilascorner.com/mooneclipse/index.html
[url]http://www.sheilascorner.com/photography.html[/url]
Wow Shelia, those are wonderful!!!!
Those are really well done, Sheila,

What I find very interesting is that, thru shot #7, we see the familiar silver color for the moon and the shadow is either black or dark gray. Then, after that, we see the same reddish color in the shadow that was in all of mine.

I would not have been able to run in and out like that -- too cold here. When I finished shooting the camera+lens went inside of a 1-gal zip-lock bag and stayed there until it came back to room temps inside (abt 20 min). Otherwise, I would have to wait several hours for the condensation fog to clear.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Howdy all:

I'm sorry I'm late to the moon party, but I had a car accident and both my wife and i are with neck braces and in lots of pain so that is a good reason to be late, hope I'm excused.

Moon Shots:
1- The moon is a back lighted subject the same as if it was a person you are taking pictures of with the sun behind him/her. The moon don't have light on it self but is reflecting the sun's light.
2- The reason the slow shuter speeds gives you a blurr image is due to the fact that the moon is still but the earth is moving even if you don't notice it :biggrin:
3- This is the solution shoot at 125 sec./F11 bracket to F-8 you don't need a tripod but because you are using very long lenses is better to use one. If you don't have a tripod shoot at 250sec. at 5.6 and bracket to F8

Hope this help.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Oh no DonDiego :crying: , I hope you and your wife have a quick recovery.
Don Diego, sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you both are going to be ok. You should be in bed resting . Get better soon.
Thank you Linda and Susan:
This is truly a pain in the neck,LOL. The good thing is that I have a laptop on my bed, so when the pain killer drowsines effect goes away I log in for a while until I get sleepy again. This is terrible, but I will survive. My wife got the worst part she was driving. Any way amigas hope my moon tip will help in the future.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
You take it easy, Don Diego. Did somebody run into you??? Be better soon
44 posts Page 4 of 5