Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
66 posts Page 5 of 7
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
I second what Chuck says. You really have to be careful when things start getting that cheap. Check them out real careful like and read ALL the fine print!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Yes - you do have to check out the retailers. That's why I said I've never had any experience with either of the two lowest priced ones. But Abe's of Maine and Butterfly Photo I do have personal experience with and have always been a satisfied customer.

Hubby was looking through the ads this morning and made a suggestion for me that has me back to leaning towards a DSLR - the pocketable camcorders have come down in price and have better resolution than then most of the still camera's do in movie mode. So he was suggesting getting one of those that I can just stuff in a pocket plus a DSLR (The Nikon D60 is on special at Best Buy with two lens {yes I know kit lens aren't the best} at exactly the upper limit of the budget I was given). It would require me to remember to bring TWO cameras - but it might be a solution to getting "everything" I want. :biggrin:

So I'm off to learn more about pocket camcorders.

D60 10 MP D-SLR Camera with 18-55mm Vibration Reduction Nikkor Zoom Lens (D60 KIT) 8721733
55-200mm Vibration Reduction Nikkor Zoom Lens (2166) 8565368 $999.98 FOR BOTH
I believe the Nikon D60 is the camera that Christell just got for her anniversary. I did a little reading about it, and it looks like an ideal choice for a compact DSLR.

BTW, that same combination is available online from Beach Camera via amazon.com for $965 with no tax and no shipping charges. I would be leery of Best Buy; several folks on the forums have had big issues with their so-called customer service. Caveat emptor!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks for the info Chuck - I'm not a fan of Best Buy either - but their ads do give me a good idea of what the current sale prices should be at. Oh and there never is sales tax for those of us that live in Oregon! :thumbsup:

I held a D40 and a D60 last week. Liked the fit and feel of the D60, and even tried it with the 55-200mm lens. But I didn't have time to really check out the controls - might head back to the shop to do some more looking on one of my breaks from court this week if it isn't pouring rain.
Jane, That must be some trial. I assume we'll read/hear about it in the local media shortly.
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Jane, it's good you live near enough to a store where you can 'test drive' a camera; how it feels and how easy the controls are to learn are two really important aspects of the decision.

I can see you now with the DSLR on a neckstrap and the mini-camcorder on a wrist strap. Just be careful driving with that configuration.... :shock:
Chuck
Gail - if you've read the paper lately you have heard at least some about it. When we started they expected it to last through the end of this current week. I am expecting that it will run into next week.

Chuck - Due to the trial I'm a 2-3 block walk away from a very SMALL shop with limited selection. When I was in last Wednesday they had just finished unpacking their first D60. I hate to bother them too much because I know I won't purchase there since their prices are pretty high and from what I've experienced so far, they don't have the knowledge base to really make the extra money worth it.
Jane,
I know somebody that just got a D60. They shot an event with me recently and she shot in mostly Aperture Mode. The stuff came out great and she was shoot the kit lense. She was using an older accessory flash but it went well. The 55-200 sounds like a good secondary lense.

You could probably pickup a used 50 prime in low f-stop relatively cheap for doing portraits of the kids. There are a few on ebay from reputable dealers.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
Thanks for the input Ron - I would love to do a small home studio set up. Light prices keep coming down, and every time I take my kids into the studio and plunk down $100+ (hubby is no longer allowed to pick up the finished product because he just can't say no!) I think how much I could save in the long run. Your comment made me realize that if I get a DSLR and got a light kit - before my daughter's birthday at the end of April - by the end of the year I would have broken even on the cost of the light kit vs. taking my kids into a studio (even with having prints made) And next year would be all free and clear and that doesn't take into account the occasional photography job that folks are always wanting me to do for them....

Hmmm.... a whole lot more to ponder. (Yup my mind is a strange creature that tends to wander about by itself and get lost sometimes. :rotfl: )
Jane, maybe you should be looking at professional-grade DSLR's; that way you can save even more money!! :bigwink: :o :rotfl:
Chuck
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
66 posts Page 5 of 7