Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/790790/22498/large
Chuck, I had a look at the exif data, and I am really amazed at what you achieved with your G9! Can you tell us more about the shooting conditions?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michel, thanks. This was truly a 'grab' shot, with no intention to take a photo at all.

I returned from work to my hotel room around 5 pm and was soaking up the beautiful California weather in the hotel's garden when this little bird made his appearance. I'm not sure I had ever seen a Black Phoebe before but I confirmed its identity in the field guide I nearly always carry on trips. Then, since he decided he liked the garden as much as I and kept returning to the lichen-covered rock in full sun, I grabbed my camera, dialed up a custom setting that provides maximum digital zoom at a lower than maximum picture size, and started shooting. I believe I got to within 10 meters of him; my movement caused him to fly off, but like most flycatchers, he quickly returned to the same spot.

It pushed the lens and my ability to hand-hold to the limit; it's not a particularly sharp photo and is only suitable for web use. It's the first time I've ever used digital zoom on any camera, but I figured I'd use it as an experiment. Sure wished I had my DSLR, but then I probably would have spent so much time assembling the body and lens that the sun would have gone done and the bird would have flown off! :)
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Chuck, nice shot. Point and shots do come in handy and can produce some very nice photos.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Good one. Chuck. Are you enjoying Northern California or working
suzib wrote: Good one. Chuck. Are you enjoying Northern California or working

Suzi, yes to both! :D
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
5 posts Page 1 of 1