Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
22 posts Page 2 of 3
Another interpretation of "pro-sumer" is the DSLR's designed for hobbyists rather than professionals. That runs a pretty broad gamut: for Canon, that would be the XT series for sure and probably the 40D; for Nikon, it would be the D-40, 40x, 50, 60, 70, 80 and possibly the D-200. Labels aren't all that useful; gotta read the fine print and feel the goods!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Wags wrote:
Oddly Canon did not have an update to it's SLR-like S5is - while it's competitors did announce updates in the super zoom category. If they want to stay competitive they will have to produce something in the next few months. I am very interested in what they will come up with since XSi sports features from the higher end models. I'mguessing the S series will get some features from the Rebel line.

S5 IS was released in May 2007, and S3IS hit the market in May 2006. So, if Canon continues to be predictable, an announcement should be forthcoming soon. However, Canon appears to be reluctant to incorporate features in their P&S and superzooms that would take business away from the highly profitable DSLR's.
Chuck
Chuck_S wrote: Another interpretation of "pro-sumer" is the DSLR's designed for hobbyists rather than professionals. That runs a pretty broad gamut: for Canon, that would be the XT series for sure and probably the 40D; for Nikon, it would be the D-40, 40x, 50, 60, 70, 80 and possibly the D-200. Labels aren't all that useful; gotta read the fine print and feel the goods!

Superzooms are also known as "bridge cameras" per this definition from Wikipedia:
Bridge digital cameras are high-end live-preview digital cameras (LPDs). They are comparable in size and weight to the smallest digital single-lens reflex cameras (DSLRs), but they lack the mirror and reflex system that characterize DSLRs. The term "bridge" characterizes the way in which these cameras form a niche between the DSLRs and the compacts. Although bridge cameras join consumer compacts in the LPD category, they are sometimes confused with DSLRs due to their similar bodies and larger lenses (as compared to the compacts).

Confusing enough?? :shock: :?
Chuck
Chuck_S wrote:
Wags wrote:
Oddly Canon did not have an update to it's SLR-like S5is - while it's competitors did announce updates in the super zoom category. If they want to stay competitive they will have to produce something in the next few months. I am very interested in what they will come up with since XSi sports features from the higher end models. I'm guessing the S series will get some features from the Rebel line.

S5 IS was released in May 2007, and S3IS hit the market in May 2006. So, if Canon continues to be predictable, an announcement should be forthcoming soon. However, Canon appears to be reluctant to incorporate features in their P&S and superzooms that would take business away from the highly profitable DSLR's.

Yes I expect to hear something soon - if they improve just a couple of things, like higher res on movie mode I'll be tempted to go that route rather than the to the entry DSLR. Since my search for an affordable and pocketable camcorder didn't yield anything worth getting excited about - my still camera does as good or a job or better than what I found available.
I have the S3 (probably mentioned that earlier in the thread...CRS) and the one-button mode for beginning and ending a movie while in any shooting mode certainly does help spontaneity. I believe that functionality has been preserved on the S5.

I had shelved the S3 because it doesn't/didn't shoot RAW, but pulled it out of the closet yesterday to install a 'hack' that gives it that capability and a few others. It won't supplant the G9, but if I need a little more reach.... :)
Chuck
Chuck_S wrote: I had shelved the S3 because it doesn't/didn't shoot RAW, but pulled it out of the closet yesterday to install a 'hack' that gives it that capability and a few others. It won't supplant the G9, but if I need a little more reach.... :)

How do you hack into the software of a camera? Where did you get the info to be able to do this? Just curious!
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
Canon XSi - 18-55mm IS lens - 70-300 IS USM lens
PSE5 / PSE6
WinXP - Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz - 1.0GB Ram
Jane,

Thank you for the definition of pro-sumer. I will look into those for sure!
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
PSE5 / PSE6
I posted in the other Elements forum but one thing about the xsi. It wont be released for another couple of months and it will be another two or three months after that before it hits the stores. At this time you will be able to buy one for top dolllar. I personally would never buy a newly released camera until it has been in stores at least three or four months. Too many hooror stories about new production models.
Or you can be a cheapskate like me. I'll upgrade to the xti after the new one has been out long enough for the price to drop. :chickendance:
Inspeqtor wrote: Jane,

Thank you for the definition of pro-sumer. I will look into those for sure!

After thinking more about this, I am leaning back towards either the XTi or the XSi. I just totally dislike the slow shutter response my current cameras have, and I want something better!
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
PSE5 / PSE6
22 posts Page 2 of 3