Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
20 posts Page 1 of 2
My BIL is upgrading to a faster camera (He takes freelance "event" shots for a web-based service where people can order pics from the event) and has offered his Nikon D50 to me before putting it on the general market. He would give me the body, the 18-55mm kit lens and a 1GB card for 450 euros. I know he has taken good care of it (the manual settings have probably never been used! :P )

Does anyone have this camera, and is it worth that price when compared to the prices below? It would be my first dSLR, but not my first SLR. I know it is only 6MP, but I have read the articles stating that for regular photography, more MP is not always necessary, so it is not a problem. I was not looking seriously for a dSLR, so it is a matter of getting a good buy more than "necessity". :bigwink:

New prices in comparison:
  • Nikon D70s body+1GB-------------830
  • Pentax K100D+18-55mm----------480
  • Nikon D40+18-55mm--------------420
  • Canon EOS 10D body-------------1320
  • Fujifilm FinePix S20 Pro----------780
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Reka, have you read the dpreview.com review of the D50? Here's a link to the conclusions page (I think):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page26.asp

It looks like a very well-built and feature-rich camera. It would certainly be a more than adequate 'starter DSLR'!

I'm stunned by the prices of cameras in Europe, but the quote relative to the other cameras cited looks in line. The one Canon listed there can't be right, though: the 10D, the first of the current line of prosumer Canons (10D, 20D, 30D, and 40D) just couldn't be that high realistically. I have one laying dormant upstairs in a closet. Looks like that price might be for a 1D, which is/was a full-frame, pro model or perhaps the current 40D (which runs $1140 in the US as we speak).

Good luck in your 'negotiating'!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks, Chuck. I have used the camera a couple of times. I liked it, but as of yet, have no comparison except my analog and my Lumix FZ7. Here is the link to the 10D:
http://www.onlinestore.it/product_info. ... rom=kelkoo
Is that the one you have molding away in your closet?

Take into account that the euro is now worth $1.55, going up as I write. Oops, already up to 1.56! This means 450 euros is about $701 at the moment, but normally should be closer to 1:1. I am going home in the summer, maybe I should see what I can get near that price in the States?

Guys? What super dSLR could I buy for $700 in the States with a zoom lens??

Do you know if I can use my old analog lens with the 50D?? So many questions...I was not prepared to consider buying a dSLR!
Reka
ImageMOM

I would go with the Nikon D50. It is a very good camera as far as entry DSLR cameras go and the six megapixels is plenty unless you plan on doing prints larger then 16"X20". In my opinion the D50 is a better camera then its repacement, the D40. Also the Nikon kit lenses are reputed to be very good.
hukari wrote: Thanks, Chuck. I have used the camera a couple of times. I liked it, but as of yet, have no comparison except my analog and my Lumix FZ7. Here is the link to the 10D:
http://www.onlinestore.it/product_info. ... rom=kelkoo
Is that the one you have molding away in your closet?

Take into account that the euro is now worth $1.55, going up as I write. Oops, already up to 1.56! This means 450 euros is about $701 at the moment, but normally should be closer to 1:1. I am going home in the summer, maybe I should see what I can get near that price in the States?

Guys? What super dSLR could I buy for $700 in the States with a zoom lens??

Do you know if I can use my old analog lens with the 50D?? So many questions...I was not prepared to consider buying a dSLR!

Reka, that 10D is the very same one I have. It's been out of production for three years, and its original price was about what they're asking for it. Not a good buy at all.

Price on the D50 kit here in the US is about $699; good match! Offer him 400-425 euros because it's used!

If your old lens is a Nikon, it may fit on the camera but it probably won't give you either auto focus or auto exposure. That's okay, though - good for learning!

I agree with lowbone; the D50 looks like an excellent choice.
Chuck
Reka, I shoot a D50 and like it very much.
6MP is enough unless you are shooting something like birds and regularly want to crop down to small parts of the "negative".

I don't think BIL is doing you any favors at a price of €450 but, what do I know about Europe prices. I don't even know if you can buy a D50 here unless you find somebody with old inventory. I believe it was discontinued by Nikon (along with the D70) when the D40 was introduced. Being *discontinued* doesn't mean much. Everything that fits the D80 works just fine on the D50.

My son has a D40x which I have been able to play with. I like my D50 better. But, that's really based on how it feels in my hands. The D50 is slightly larger, not much, just a little bit, but enough to make a difference to me.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Chuck_S wrote:
Reka, that 10D is the very same one I have. It's been out of production for three years, and its original price was about what they're asking for it. Not a good buy at all.

thought it was a bit funny, seeing that usually the higher numbers mean newer models! Wow!! Wonder if anyone will buy it at that price??
Reka
ImageMOM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have seen several reviews and it does look good, but when I see I could get other good cameras in the States NEW for about the same price, I think I have to think it over more. First of all, I will ask my BIL if he will lend it to me for a couple of days so I can really try it out.

Then, having said that, let me pose a dangerous question. If you had the choice (and please state which dSLR you have now) which would you buy at approximately the same price?

• Nikon D50 used from BIL with 18-55mm lens
  • Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi new with 18-55mm lens
  • Pentax K100D with 18-55mm lens

I know the Canon people will probably say Canon, and so on, but maybe there are a few out there who can give me an unbiased opinion, or at least tell me why they are biased. :bigwink:

Off to research some more! Thanks much in advance!
Reka
ImageMOM

Uh...'nother dumb question: I can use my old flash on this, right? Do they have hot shoe connections?
Reka
ImageMOM

There are no dumb questions when it comes to buying a camera!

Re the choice of brand, it's analogous to buying nearly anything - one size does NOT fit all. You really should test-drive that D50, then find a camera store where you can at least handle a few different brands and models. The one that feels best in your hands and has the most intuitive controls will be the one that gives you the best pictures. As a secondary measure, read the reviews at http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.steves-digicams.com; you'll get some pretty good data there on what's good and not so good on each model. I've stuck with one brand not because I think it's better; I had a modest investment in lenses from my film days that I wanted to re-use, and after 20 years or more the controls are second nature.

Re the flash, that's tricky. If it's an old flash, the voltage rating is critical because if it's high, it could actually damage your new camera! NOT GOOD! Easy to find out that info online, though. More likely, though, the flash won't work in fully automatic mode with your new camera and will have to be used in manual mode. Usual recommendation is to retire the old flash and buy one that's made for your camera by the OEM or a third part.

One more piece of advice: don't ditch the point & shoot! It's great to have a small camera for pocket or purse or belt pack that's always with you for those unexpected photo ops. In my case, the DSLR only travels when I'm going somewhere to take photos; the P&S goes with me when I'm going somewhere - anywhere.
Chuck
20 posts Page 1 of 2