Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
20 posts Page 2 of 2
Thanks, Chuck. No, I wouldn't ditch my FZ7 for anything in the world...I love it too much. But it only fits in bigger pockets anyway. I usually take a fanny pack to carry it in if I am on the go for a longer period of time.

Where could I find out about the flash? It isn't a really top model anyway. A Sunpak 266D. OMG, they still sell this one! I just found it here: http://www.adorama.com/SU266DPO.html

And the lens I have (28-105mm, f3.5-4.5) for my Pentax is only a Kalimar, probably is worth getting a new one. I can try it on the Nikon at least.

As far as the make, that is my problem. I realize that once I commit to a make, I will probably "have" to stay with it for the rest of my life, barring sudden and great wealth. :)

Hmm...my problem is where to go to try out a camera, short of Innsbruck (1 1/2 hrs) or Munich (3 hrs). Most places here have to order them. Image
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
When reading the reviews - check out the D60 as well which was just introduced. It is slightly smaller and lighter than the D40 - and I liked the feel of it better.

And by the time you are in the states for vacation the Canon Rebel XSi should also be available.
Thanks, Jane. I had seen that about the Xsi, but as it will evidently be priced from $800-900, it is too expensive. I really want to stay pretty low in price, since I already have the FZ7 for snapshots.

I will look at the D60, though.

Chuck, where can I find out about the flash? :help:
Reka
ImageMOM

Reka, I just did some more research. It looks like from a safety point of view the SunPak 266D isn't a problem - its trigger voltage is around 6v, safe for the Nikon.

I had less success trying to find out whether that flash unit will perform in any mode but manual with the D50. I wouldn't count on it, but still looking...
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks, Chuck, but don't bother looking further. I borrowed the D50 from my BIL today, and did not like the way it fit in my hand. It would be okay for snapping a few pictures, but not for regular use. It was just too massive. I will keep looking at cameras now and will try a few out in the States when I go over. With the good exchange rates at the moment, it really pays.
Reka
ImageMOM

Reka... sent you a PM. :P
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
hukari wrote: Thanks, Chuck, but don't bother looking further. I borrowed the D50 from my BIL today, and did not like the way it fit in my hand. It would be okay for snapping a few pictures, but not for regular use. It was just too massive. I will keep looking at cameras now and will try a few out in the States when I go over. With the good exchange rates at the moment, it really pays.

Reka, that's a very understandable reason for passing on this opportunity, and it reinforces how important it is to test drive a camera. There are several smaller models on the market; Olympus just released one and here's a preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0803/08030 ... use420.asp

Good luck on the continuing quest!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks again, Chuck. That one looks nice.

The problem wasn't necessarily the mass of the entire camera, but more of the grip. I felt like it was made more for a man's hand. Maybe a different brand or even another Nikon wouldn't feel so plump.
Reka
ImageMOM

Reka:
I just call my cammera supplier in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. he is not there at this time but his son told me that they are selling the Nikon D-60 with 18-55 VR lens for $750.00 that means that I may be able to get it for $50.00 or $75.00 less from his father. The shipping with insurance First Priority Air mail to the Continental USA will probably be around $20.00 to $25.00 maximum.

I will NOT buy the D50 unless he sell it for less than 50% of going retail price. Once used always used. No used camera unless a collector item will worth more than 50% of the retail price.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Thanks, Don. I will keep it in mind, but I want to get my hands on it first. Holding the D50 felt like a 2 year old trying to hold a 1 liter Oktoberfest mug! Just didn't fit...
Reka
ImageMOM

20 posts Page 2 of 2