Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Gene recently suggested I might want to get a Circular Polarizing Filter. I know I need a 58mm filter, and Sony makes one that I know will work. My question is, do I need to spend the money for the Sony filter when there are multitudes out there for less money. When compared to others, for example, a Tiffen kit that includes a * UV protector, Circular polarizer and an 812 color warming filter for $20 less, do I need to stick with Sony? The Tiffen gets very good reviews at Amazon. My gut says Tiffen. :help:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
I'm not qualified to say which are "good" and which are not. I do know that good quality is very important, after all, this is a piece of glass in front of your high quality lens.

Because good filters are expensive, and if you have multiple lenses or cameras, buy the filter that fits your largest diameter. Then buy inexpensive adapter rings that will let you use that same filter on lenses calling for a smaller diameter screw connection.

I know I own at least one Tiffen filter and I think it's good quality (maybe I don't know any better). I own a circ.polarizer made by Cokin which is quite well thought of.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Sunny, I have several Tiffin filters and they are just as good as the higher priced ones. I got mine at Norman Camera and the salesman told me I was wasting money going for the more popular name. Tiffin is high quality at a more affordable price. My circular polarized is a Tiffin.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Thank you both for your input. As this is my only camera and I hope to upgrade someday (after I learn how to use a DSLR), I'm hesitant to spend too much, not knowing if a filter I buy now will work with my next camera. I think I'll go with the Tiffen. It's a 58MM and did receive very good reviews. Thanks again.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Sunny, if your next camera isn't 58mm no big deal. Just get an adapter ring like Rusty mentioned. Cost a lot less than than buying new filters. I think I got mine for about $5. I have 3 lenses that are 58mm, 1 52mm and a 72mm.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
Having a digital SLR, I also have multiple lenses. Each one can be a different size. So I invested in a Cokin filter system which allows me to buy one filter to fit any size lens with the proper adapter ring. Unless you plan to invest in a SLR and more than a few filters you probably wouldn't want to go this route. I have some Tiffen filters and they are considered some of the best filters out there.
Gary
D7000, D90, D200 ...and plenty of lenses.
"[i]Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.[/i]"
Yeah, Gary is back. We missed you Gary. Jen did good but it just wasn't the same.

Kim
My Creations

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I own a few Tiffen filters myself and they do the job as advertised.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
The man with the radiant possibilities is back!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Welcome back Gary.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Welcome back Kotter, er, Gary. Did you miss us? We missed you, but Jen performed admirably in your absence. Thanks for the info re the filters. I've got this in my cart: Tiffen 58mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit. I really want to get it before I go to Greece next month, as I'm sure the majority of my photos are going to be in/around water.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
12 posts Page 1 of 2