Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
17 posts Page 2 of 2
That would make for some interesting pictures - if it were big enough for the kids to fit inside. I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of pictures you get with it.
Well, I got it made. The referenced pic is a light hearted collage/montage of getting it made. :)

On the top of the pic (l to r): Reading the instructions; pipe/fittings/screws; poster board; sheet; lamps.

The work flow is shown on the bottom (l to r): work space; measure twice; cut once; assembling; just the finished frame. :twisted:

In the center is a pic with the completed light box with lights on and a pic of my kaleidoscope that I put in Bills Photo challenge. :D
To provide full disclosure; the pic's of the fat guy with the beard assembling the box were taken by his wife; all the rest were taken by him. That is as close as a fashion statement you'll get out of me. :bigwink:
The hat is my Tilley Hat, "The best outdoor hat in the world" according to the manufacturer, Tilley Endurables, in Ontario, Canada. The hat has suffered many indignities at my hands, but still serves me faithfully. :biggrin:

http://www.prestophoto.com/storage/users/658 ... 20copy.jpg
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Looks like it works quite well - and you are right it is big. :thumbsup:
I was admiring the box in the rolling gallery before I saw that this thread was updated. Looks fine, Gail.
I downloaded and printed what I think are the same plans a year ago ... still thinking about it (you know what the road to hell is paved with).

What did you end up with for overall dimensions? I can see a cloth sheet, what other materials are you considering?

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks Rusty. Dimensions are about 24"LX18"WX15"H. A bit bigger than a bread box. I did not cement/glue the box so it will fold up for storage. Patti thanks me for that. Other stuff? I haven't thought too much. It might be fun to try some "scrim", some thin curtain material, or something like a cheese cloth to see if we can get a bit more light. I just used a couple of old work lights that I got from my Mom's garage when we were cleaning out after she died. I have 60 watt bulbs in them. I suppose some variations in wattage and color of light might be worth playing with. I hesitate to go up much in wattage because of possible heat. Maybe some of these new environmentally "better" bulbs (despite the fact that they have mercury in them) that use less wattage but give more candle power. I've pretty well got the gamut of colors in poster board, but am always willing to try something at least once. I wonder if a solid color cloth material in lieu of poster board might work. I could probably "engineer" this thing absurdum. My post in Bill's photo challenge show the first shots taken in the box. I'll be playing with it. :toast:
This too shall pass. Is that so? Maybe.
GAIL
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/18518
Thanks, Gail,

Too bad we no longer have easy access to target cloth; I think that would work well :biggrin:

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Some different lights might work - maybe day light balanced ones would do the trick.
17 posts Page 2 of 2