Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
Now that I have a DSLR (Nikon D40 on order) I have decided to go ahead with my dream of setting up my own little home portrait studio. I don't plan on having a photography business, but do have a few friends that have indicated interest in having me photograph them. So mostly this is a way of saving money (in the long run) over going to Sears or Picture Me! to get pictures taken of the kids. (Figure this will pay for itself in two years or less if I keep the cost below $400).

Anyone have an entry level lighting/studio set up they can recommend. I've seen (and posted links to) DIY models, but as much as I would like to try my hand at making my own, reality is that I don't have the time to do it. (PVC glue and little kids do NOT mix!)
You might want to check this site for some ideas.

http://www.studiolighting.net/

John
Jane, there are also a lot of photography equipment supplies that sell on eBay too. Check it out. I got a backdrop stand that goes to 20 feet wide and retails for over $400 for $67 from Amnova. I also got some great backdrops, reflectors and my reversable chromakey background on eBay really cheap and all brand new. Now if I could only get the opportunity to use any of them.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
I got my background frame, reflector (3 in 1), reflector stand and a remote flash stand (for behind the person to light the back ground or create a halo) and all came from Amnova via ebay. If you are patient you can get some good deals especially if auction closes late for us Pacific people because it seems like the rest of the country is asleep. I got my chromakey and a white background from another vendor. I had an old strobe from my 35mm that I got a remote for. I picked up two strobes for my camera via ebay. I use one on-camera strobe with a lightsphere and it radio trips my off camera strobes. I did it over several pay periods. Everything seems to work great. You might also try Craigslist.

I did the kids engagement pictures in high key white and they loved them. High key works good with toys and colorful items for the little ones. When my kids were small we had some professional pics and they used it.

Try garage sales for props like artifical trees/plants, stools, etc. Bang together some scrap plywood boxes and paint them for posing cubes. Sheets can make a good drape for stacking cubes or for head shot cover on the rest.

The web site looks good also.

You are going to have fun.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will continue to research this to death.... :biggrin:

I was supposed to get pictures taken of my 4 yr old for her birthday last Sunday - but she got scratched by the cat on the face (she wouldn't let it go) so I'm having to wait. Frustrating because 5 seconds with the healing brush and you wouldn't have even known it was there. At least it has made hubby realize that having my own little studio would be a good thing. :woohoo:
Hi Jane,
Well worth a look is Strobist a high quality blog site that talks about lighting. As the name suggests, the focus is on flash rather than "hot" lights, but there is discussion of studio setups and sources/brands of strobes and you're sure to find something interesting.

Have fun,
Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Thanks for the link Steve - I had stumbled across that blog during my research. I know folks get sharper results with strobe lights - but I won't be using these that much so I'm thinking continuous is the way to go for me. The room I have to set up in has a very tall ceiling, so the heat build up won't be that bad - the kids will only cooperate for 15-20 minutes at best anyway.

Found I ebay store last night - I can get a 3 light set up, backdrop holder and one 10x20 fashion muslin for $200 (I emailed and told them what I wanted and they just emailed the price for "my" package.) I'm thinking that I want at least one plain muslin to start with so I'm going to add a white to that. The fashion one I wanted is grey/silver grunge. I know these aren't super high quality, but they should hold up to the 4-6 times a years use. http://stores.ebay.com/studio4less
I ended up purchasing from the above mentioned store. (Thanks for pointing me to Ebay!)

Continuous 3 light set up - 2 umbrellas and one background light
1 backdrop stand
2 muslin backdrops, (1 white, 1 silver/gray mottled)

Total with shipping $245

If it is even remotely decent quality it should pay for itself within the year! Since I end up spending at least that much at Sears every year. Of course I will have printing costs, but I will get to print exactly what I need, and not be paying for a bunch of extras, or paying extra to have the pix on CD.

ETA: Just got notice that it has shipped :woohoo: My poor Fed-Ex guy... :biggrin:
Here, give him a couple of tranquilizers when he gets there (with a good slug of Scotch :toast: ). Better yet, take a few yourself! :biggrin:

Enjoy your toys!
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
You can also find plain white muslin at JoAnn's, and die it yourself/or leave white. I purchased mine there it's a 10' width, and I can't remember the length.
Have a blessed day today & always
Amanda
Official Website~Challenges & Photo Blog~Design Blog
My PrestoPhoto Gallery Anna's ABC Book
Canon 300D, Canon 50mm, Sigma 28-80 w/ macro, 430EX Speedlite, PSE5, LR2, Win XP...and Santa's bringing a 40D!!
15 posts Page 1 of 2