Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
I told you in another thread that I was taking a photography class at a University branch. Our session on Urban Landscapes ends with the final class next week.

One of the things that the instructor has been emphasizing to us is to be alert and watch for unusual reflections in window glass. Gee, sort of like can't see the forest for the trees -- I had never paid much attention to that. I went out two days ago with the goal of doing nothing but shooting reflections. There's a small town about 15 miles away with the entire main street torn up by road construction; thought I might be able to find interesting contrasts...

Reflections1.jpg
Reflections1.jpg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

Reflections2.jpg
Reflections2.jpg (120.5 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

I didn't really know what I was doing, need a lot more experimentation to figure out how to handle exposure to best get both what's behind the storefront thru the glass and what's reflected by the glass. And, to be honest, I didn't even realize the cool "head" was present in #2 until I was looking at it on my computer screen.

Some of the stuff I thought was "good behind the glass" didn't show up at all. Others were nice happy accidents :D

This is pretty cool; I'm going to be practicing.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thats a great idea Rusty, they look neat.
Rusty,
Taking photos of reflections can drive an auto focus system crazy. I know from a not too happy experience...:(
I usually manually focus when doing reflections or a reflection in a mirror. Your photos look just fine.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Very neat class you're taking...making you think outside the box???
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
good job, Rusty. Wish I was taking the class with you
Rusty, excellent images, I love both of them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Rusty, that is a concept I would have not thought of. I love the out of the box thinking. You did a nice job. Now I will be looking for reflections. :doh:
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
I took those images to class several days after posting them here. The instructor said the trick was to compose in the "window glass" before even looking thru the viewfinder. Move around on the sidewalk, side-to-side, closer, back, etc ... when you have the two images "arranged in a pleasing pattern", then look thru the camera.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
I have this noted in my notebook and will do just as you said. What a great idea.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
9 posts Page 1 of 1