Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
I have the canon xti and loving it.
Lens: 18-55,70-300, and 50mm

I now want an external flash, and Bill says yes! (He got a new hybrid golf club)
I've been reading, and it is between the 580ex and the 430ex.
I value your opinion.
Thanks.
m
Michelle
I have the 580ex and it works really good when I use it. To be honest I don't use a flash much, i most likely should though.
I went with the 580 EX and love it.

Shortly after, I got a Gary Fong diffuser and use it all the time.
John
I appreciate the input. The 580 is the one I was leaning towards. Bill wants me checking out for differences and its benefits due to the $$ difference.
m
Michelle
Michelle,

I was alternating between the 580 and the 430 and had my mind made up on the 430 - went to purchase it and they were out of stock due to a sale and problems with deliveries of replacement stock.

There really isn't a lot of difference between them unless you a shooting fast and long in which case the 580 will give you an edge. There are lower priced non-Canon flashes, but they won't sync with the lens like the canon ones will - I suggest you go to the stores with your camera and try it on to make sure that it does work with your camera model. The XTi will sync with canon lenses.

So, the guy in me says go with the More Power. :chickendance:

The pocketbook says, the difference will be hard to notice, unless you are clicking fast and furious.
John
I am using the 430, which is all I need. Of course, if price is not a problem, choose the 580! I also have a Metz which is supposed to be compatible... but does not work well with my 20D, I keep it for my G6 with full compatibility. Both can act as slaves for the 580 if needed. Keep in mind that there is less than a stop gained with a more powerful unit, is it really necessary with a DSLR with excellent high ISO performance?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Michelle: I have the 420EX, predecessor of the 430EX you're looking at. I've been disappointed by it - just can't seem to get the flash photos properly exposed. I've thought about moving up to the 580EX, but I'm so bummed out about flash photography that I've decided not to invest there for the time being. I'd choose the 580EX, though, if I were in the market today.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Michelle, I don't have a flash right now but if I were to get one it would be the 580EX if that is any help.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
I sure appreciate everyone's input. The 580 is the one, I really, really am hoping to get.
I just hope that if I get it...I can learn to use it correctly. I know - I tend to be slow catching on to
all the tech stuff
However, my camera abilities are coming along. AND I owe great appreciation to those who have put up with me on the forums.
Many thanks,
m
Michelle
My 2 cents, like Chuck I have the 420EX but I haven't been disappointed in it yet. Don't use it much. But if I were to get a new one it would be the 580 as well.

Kim
My Creations
Canon 40D, Canon 28-135mm IS lens, Canon 300D, Canon 18-55mm lens, CS3

Kimz Kreationz Blog
11 posts Page 1 of 2