Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
Good thing info don't cost money :D my amiga.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Many lenses offer the word macro on their lenses. This setting will bring you a little closer so that you can ususally fill the frame with something the size of a flower. This however is far from true macro which will give you a one to one ratio or lifesize. I just wanted to clarify.
Even though I said in an earlier post that I doubted I would get enough use out of tubes to justify the purchase, I just read an article yesterday that may cause me to rethink that statement. This had to do with techniques to get "great landscapes".

The photographer was talking about a vast panorama with objects in the very near foreground (wildflowers, rocks, etc) in sharp focus along with equally sharp focus in midranges and the far background. Even with extreme wide angle lenses (less than 20mm), he routinely used a 25mm extension tube. This allowed him to focus extremely close to the end of the lens and, I guess, preserves the "normal" depth of field of the lens.

I'm not ready to rush out and buy a tube, but it was food for thought.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
You are correct Rusty. If you have a very wide lens like the Canon 10-22 and put a 12mm extension tube on it you can have a foreground flower literally touching the lens and still have infinity focus. If your wide angle lens isn't quite that wide you can still do this with but to a slightly lesser degree.
14 posts Page 2 of 2