Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
37 posts Page 2 of 4
OK, back to Reka's question. I've used a backpack (Lowepro MicroTrekker 200) and a sling pack (Lowepro Slingshot 300). I prefer the backpack because of the balance; the heavyweight Slingshot fully loaded pushes my spine out of alignment and gets very uncomfortable in a big hurry. On the other hand, the backpack requires a bunch of handling to extract the camera, while the sling pack can be twisted around and opened without removing. Tradeoffs...

Still looking for that perfect bag....but don't want to go broke searching... :o
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Multiple bags for multiple uses. I have a Lowepro backpack(I'm short and that fits my back best) that I use for hikes that I want a lot with and air travel. I have a tamrac waist pack for when I only want to carry the basics, and a bike carrier bag that straps onto my bike. I also have a medium size bag for working out of my car. I have a regular-looking carry on suitcase that is actually a camera case for when I travel to areas/countries that I don't want the bag to scream valuable cameras inside-steal me! Finally I have a water-proof(totally sealed and submersible) bag for canoeing/kayaking/boats. Think about how will use when selecting and realize this is a lot like deciding which purse to use that day-I'm betting you have more than 1. :biggrin:
I'm looking for a backpack customed designed to match my logo colors that will hold my laptop,

So, Denise, you're looking for a big PINK bag?????? You'll be seen from 3 miles away!!!! :rotfl:

I use a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW, which is my second sling shot style bag. I hated the shoulder style bags, and if you're out and about its real easy to move from your back to your front, then back again. Especially if you sit down somewhere. It then becomes a nice camera rest!

I probably tend to carry too much stuff when I go out shooting. Seem to always forget my tripod or monopod, though..... :|
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
ljameso1 wrote: Think about how will use when selecting and realize this is a lot like deciding which purse to use that day-I'm betting you have more than 1. :biggrin:

Who, me??? Never! :bigwink: And I have even more wallets than purses!

Well, actually, I have a camera bag for trips, though it is quite old. I also have a small shoulder bag for walking around, which fits my FZ7 quite well, but will most likely be too small for a D40. I am looking at either a Lowepro Slingshot 100 ($69.95) or a Tamrac Velocity 7 ($59.95) or larger, since I like having my hands free. The Velocity looks more versatile, since it can be carried as a sling, shoulder bag or in your hand. Yet the Slingshot seems more accessible. Can anyone comment on either of these?

Edit: Gene, do you think the 100 would be big enough for a D40, an extra 70-300, maybe a flash and etceteras?
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Gene, do you think the 100 would be big enough for a D40, an extra 70-300, maybe a flash and etceteras?

An "extra" 70-300??? You going to have 2??? :bigwink:

When I was using mine, I carried my camera (D70s), the kit lens, a 70-300 Quantaray lens (much smaller than the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 which would not fit), a 600 speedlight, a Nikon 50mm, and a few other odds and ends. It would not carry what I lug around now, but it worked at the time.

Hope this helps.....
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

I have the Lowepro SlingShot 100.

It fits my D80, my 18x200 lens, my 50mm lens, my Speedlight 600 flash and my Gary Fong diffuser.
I love it!
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I mean a 70-300 besides the kit lens. :roll: Gene, you fit that all in the 300 or the 100?

Has anyone had the Velocity or any other practical bags?
Reka
ImageMOM

What I listed above fit in the 100, but it was packed.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

So do you and Kimi think a 200 would be in order? Like I said, D40+kit lens, 70-300, extra battery, possibly flash, and some room for wallet, etc. would be nice.

And which national stores carry lots of bags? Circuit City? Any others?
Reka
ImageMOM

Reka... I went down to my local camera store with my camera and my biggest lens, with the flash attached.
They were great about letting me open backs and see how things fit so I could made a decision. I knew I wanted something for my back. As long as I keep the waist strap done, it feels great. I also didn't want anything big.

but your lens is bigger than mine.
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
37 posts Page 2 of 4