Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
37 posts Page 3 of 4
kimi_boo wrote: Reka... I went down to my local camera store with my camera and my biggest lens, with the flash attached.
They were great about letting me open backs and see how things fit so I could made a decision. I knew I wanted something for my back. As long as I keep the waist strap done, it feels great. I also didn't want anything big.

but your lens is bigger than mine.

YEAH! Just like the boys!!! "Mine is bigger than yours!!!" Image
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Hi Reka,
And which national stores carry lots of bags? Circuit City? Any others?
The Wolf Camera (Maybe it's owned by Ritz?) in my neighborhood has a pretty good selection of "real" and "sling" bags. They have Lowepro and Tamrac and accessories to go with them. They're pretty much $ Full Retail, but that's they way flesh & blood stores are. I know it varies by location, but the employees at the Wolf I visit are pretty knowledgeable and seem happy to be there.

The last time I was in Circuit City, they had not much of a selection, and, IIRC, it was mostly bags for point and shoot cameras. CC's employees (once again, my store only) were uniformly dull-witted and non-interested.

Bag shopping is fun :biggrin:

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
Thanks, Steve, I know there is a Ritz in Bend. :woohoo:
Reka
ImageMOM

My camera bag is a small backpack Tamarac and I love it. I have my camera with lens and 2 other lenses packed in with a few little odds and ends. It's small but it works for me. Too much weight and I can't carry it.
Jen Clark
Canon 7D/50D, 5D Mark II, Lenses: 16-35m 2.8L, 85m 1.2L, 85m 1.8, 50m 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 1.4 extender
Currently working with CS5/LR3/Aperture 2
http://imagesbyjeniferclark.com ...Images by Jenifer Clark...
stevea wrote: Hi Reka,
...CC's employees (once again, my store only) were uniformly dull-witted and non-interested.

Gee, I wonder if that may possibly have anything to do with last week's announcements by Circuit City - $$ losses, financial belt tightening, closing hundreds of stores nationwide, back to basics?

I have always found CC employees to be reasonably helpful if asking a PC-related or music-related question; totally out of their element on photography. I like having Bust Buy and Circuit City around because I don't have to waste time shopping. My local, full-service camera store knows what's going on.

When I buy something at the camera store that is carried by CC or BB, the price tends to be slightly more -- but not enough to bother me. If I'm buying "real camera stuff", the price will be more than B&H or Calumet of Adorama but, guess what, it's more by about exactly the S&H added on by the mail-order houses. The smart local guys know their competition isn't just across town; they either offer price and service to compete, or they don't survive.

I wanted a SB-600 flash to give my son for Christmas. This local store was out of stock and had no idea when he would have more. He picked up the phone and called his biggest competitor across town to ask if they had any -- no luck. He then called Chicago and determined that Calumet, a big mail-order competitor still had eighteen in stock (exact same price as he sold them for + s&h), he handed me the phone, I placed an order on the spot and had my flash 3 days later. Now, that's customer service. And why I will always try to do business at that store first.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
hukari wrote:
kimi_boo wrote: Reka... I went down to my local camera store with my camera and my biggest lens, with the flash attached.
They were great about letting me open backs and see how things fit so I could made a decision. I knew I wanted something for my back. As long as I keep the waist strap done, it feels great. I also didn't want anything big.

but your lens is bigger than mine.

YEAH! Just like the boys!!! "Mine is bigger than yours!!!" Image

Yes, and the banana is very appropriate. :rotfl:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Kimi and Reka:

I am SHOCKED!!

:o

:rotfl:
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Rusty wrote:
I wanted a SB-600 flash to give my son for Christmas. This local store was out of stock and had no idea when he would have more. He picked up the phone and called his biggest competitor across town to ask if they had any -- no luck. He then called Chicago and determined that Calumet, a big mail-order competitor still had eighteen in stock (exact same price as he sold them for + s&h), he handed me the phone, I placed an order on the spot and had my flash 3 days later. Now, that's customer service. And why I will always try to do business at that store first.

Rusty

Rusty,

That sounds like GREAT customer service! I wish that store was in my area!!
(Can you tell I am jealous? :) )
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
Canon XSi - 18-55mm IS lens - 70-300 IS USM lens
PSE5 / PSE6
WinXP - Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz - 1.0GB Ram
Thank you all for the great advice. I will be checking out bags when I get to the States!
Reka
ImageMOM

Your getting some really nice toys for your trip back to Oregon. If you have time, stop by Pro Photo in in Portland and check out their bag selections. They have some very cool options.

Enjoy you trip back back home to Oregon. :woohoo:

John
37 posts Page 3 of 4