Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
We have been having one h*** of a storm for about 18 hours; still going on in spurts as more storm cells move over us from West to East. Bad street flooding and some mid-19th Century buildings in Milwaukee have roof collapse due to the weight of water ponding on flat roofs.

Took this from my garage this morning -- trust me, the rain was pounding down; really coming fast and furious.

RainRainRain!.jpg
RainRainRain!.jpg (214.26 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

I should have remembered what I learned last December when I posted the results of attempting to photograph a snowstorm. Slow shutter speeds don't work because the snowflake isn't in one place long enough to be recorded on the sensor. Well, that works for rain drops as well. This was shot at only 1/60th and that was with ISO pushed up to 800. I could have tried 1600 or 3200 but didn't -- next time :D Maybe I could have tried using a speedlight and standing as close to the door as I could and still stay dry.

Rusty

PS - Yes, of course, my sump pump decided to burn out last evening and by the time I bought and installed a replacement, 3" of water in the basement. :crying:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, we haven't had rain here in about 4 weeks. Can you bottle some up and mail it down south? :rotfl:
living in dust...
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Rusty---I live in Central Iowa and we had 4 inches on Thursday night and over 2 inches last night. It looks like it is going to rain again any minute now. ***splish-splash***
Garry

The Procrastinator's Creed:
1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

Garry's Gallery
If we had that much rain here, the Vegas Valley would be awash. The storm drainage system is supposed to handle one of those 100-year floods. But I seriously doubt it. You sure won't have to water your grass for a while.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Hate to break it to you Rusty, but I'm having to send more your way. Hope the sump is fixed. After this last shot, almost 2 days without rain predicted. :woohoo:
Yeah I know, Linda,
The weather maps on TV make it clear that you are getting it before me. Boy, it's really been moving fast hasn't it. We get a furious downpour -- sometimes for an hour or more -- then the sun comes out. Several hours later the very heavy rain resumes.
So far so good with the new sump pump.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Glad to hear the sump working. Hope that wasn't your house I saw floating down the Wisconsin River.
7 posts Page 1 of 1