Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
16 posts Page 2 of 2
Tuesday, Charles........I get mind Tuesday. Canon ought to be paying you a commission.....first you, then Suzi, then Hugs, then me. I wonder who's next.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Me, I'm next. Took it out for a spin today. Figured out I don't know beans and better use the free classes the blasted thing came with. It is my birthday present. My daughter still wants to know why I get my present BEFORE my birthday. I told her it's part of being grown up. :biggrin: Thanks for this thread, I am printing it to start before the classes start. Also I am printing the twopeas photo class 12 weeks or something.

:cheer2: I'm excited to have a nice camera.
You are going to love it..... :woohoo:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Ditto on what Sunny said.
Sunny,

When you are experimenting with your new camera, remember what happens to depth of field when you move in close to your subject. The range of "what's in focus" is relative. If you are a ways off from your subject, it's measured in feet. But if you are in tight, it's measured in fractions of inches.

This flower is only two or three inches across. The f-stop is 2.4 and the range of sharpness doesn't even cover the entire flower.

DOF.jpg
DOF.jpg (184.09 KiB) Viewed 801 times

It's more extreme when opened up to f/1.8

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks, Rusty. I'm beginning to understand that.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
16 posts Page 2 of 2