Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
In anticipation of getting my new XSI, I decided I had to learn something about settings other than auto. I've been playing around some.....have taken several shots inside, without flash, using manual that were fairly decent. Today, I've been playing with Shutter Priority. Here's what I've done so far. These are SOOC except for a 3 X 3 crop. What do you think? Think I'll learn it? I have to admit, I rely on the histogram, because I don't fully understand the settings yet.

Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
Sunny,

I think that for the type of images you are taking, I would normally be using Aperture Priority – unless there is a strong wind, the flowers aren’t going to be moving.

I would suggest trying the same shot – with a tripod for comparison purposes – at f2.8, f5.6, f11, f22 or in that range. Also, look at the difference with your lens set at wide angle, and mid to max telephoto.

These settings and lens settings will let you see what happens to depth of field under these varying camera settings and the differences can be profound.

Playing with these will help you learn when and how to control depth of field.

For Shutter Priority, think of things that move – like water, cars or kids on swings. A slow shutter speed on water will make it look silky, a fast one will freeze the individual sparkles.

Ultimately, it will depend on what effect you want to achieve that will tell you how to set your camera. Basically, all these different settings do is bias your camera into a different image capture strategy.

P.S. - If you use a tripod, don't forget to turn off IS - Image Stabilization.
John
Oh, thank you for that lesson. I'll go out tomorrow and try some more. So, shutter priority is for more for motion and aperture is more for stationary objects. I don't have my DSLR yet, and my Sony only goes from f2.8 to f8. I'll set up my tripod and see what I get. I'm truly a novice at this and really appreciate the help. Thanks again for commenting and teaching. :thanks:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Sunny,

That’s it – it is a learning journey.

One thing, when you really get fanatical about it, you will probably want to change your DSLR to manual focus (for these type of shots) , especially if there is a breeze. Your DSLR will most likely support multiple focus points/center focus as well as spot metering vs. spot centered or overall. This has a major impact on how you approach setting up for your shot.

The auto-focus of the camera will drive you nuts if it is constantly changing the focus point, etc. It doesn’t come into play indoors, but outdoors with wind. It does, big time.

And finally, it is – in my experience – very difficult to perceive the effect of depth of field in your camera or on the LCD screen of the camera.
John
I just went outside and tried a few shots using AP...I didn't take my tripod out, though. It's a little breezy, and I didn't do very well... Tomorrow is another day, and Tuesday is the big day! My XSI gets arrives then. :woohoo:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Sunny,

One thing to keep in mind.

When you set your camera on AP or Av for Canons, you are telling your camera how to “lean” or what to favor.

If you are shooting flowers, at extreme wide angle (lens) and close up, the difference in depth of field will be difficult to perceive.

If you want to see what the impact is, try this.

Get a cup and put pens of silverware or flowers in it and splay them out in a tight spread. Put something like a bottle behind, them a salt or pepper shaker in front. Try and have all three visible and the front and behind objects should be equal distance from the cup. Set the objects about 12 inches front and back of the cup.

Now set the camera up on a tripod about 5 feet from the cup – the kitchen table may be the best place to do this. Set the lens to max zoom (largest image) and set the program to AP/Av.

Focus on the cup/pens and then turn off auto-focus and image stabilization.

Now shoot at the 2.8, 5.6, 11, 22 apertures (depends on your lens).

Change lens zoom to mid range, repeat aperture shots.

Change lens zoom top max wide angle and repeat.

You may have to open the images in Elements and use the Elements zoom tool to set what is happening.

I have done this and have found that depending on the aperture and lens zoom, the front pens in the cup are in focus and the back ones are not and (Max Tele setting and 2.8 vs 22)

And all three objects in focus (Wide Angle, very little impact of aperture on focus (depth of field),
John
John - here's one I took with my tripod and used AP. Settings 24 mm, F/6.3, 1.3 sec., ISO 80. Now I'm done for the night.

Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
I can hardly wait until you get your camera. If you're this enthusiastic with your P&S, you'll die with the XSi. Gorgeous flowers! Are they all near you? Such a good lesson on aperture priority, John!
Thanks, Linda. The Clematis and Magnolia are in my yard, and the Daisy is on my back porch. I'm just determined to learn!
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
jlwilm wrote:
And finally, it is – in my experience – very difficult to perceive the effect of depth of field in your camera or on the LCD screen of the camera.

John and Sunny,

I have the XSi myself; and I am just loving it! I still have tons to learn. One option the XSi DOES have is this: you can press a button on the camera and it will show you the depth of field in your viewfinder before you take the photo! Pretty Handy :)

jlwilm wrote: I don't have my DSLR yet, and my Sony only goes from f2.8 to f8. I'll set up my tripod and see what I get.

Sunny,

The smallest I have seen so far on the XSi (with the kit lens depending on the focal length to subject) is f36! :biggrin:

The biggest is f3.5
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
Canon XSi - 18-55mm IS lens - 70-300 IS USM lens
PSE5 / PSE6
WinXP - Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz - 1.0GB Ram
16 posts Page 1 of 2