Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi I am getting close to getting my new XSI and now looking at lenses. The guy at the camera store was pushing this one and I wondered what forum members think. I know third party lenses are never as good as brand. Thanks for your thoughts

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/25166 ... rce=google
Angela, I would definitely NOT buy a Quantaray lens. You would do much better with the Canon 28 - 135 lens, or the 17 - 85 lens Some of the other third party lenses are good, also. I've never known anyone with a Quantaray lens to be happy with it. Just my opinion.

Anita
I agree with Anita.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Doesn't sound like the local store will be a good source of information going forward....

Third-party lenses that do get good reviews generally come from either Tamron or Sigma. Lots of info out there on the 'Net....
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Thanks for the advice. Chuck you gave me a great link on the other thread but I couldn't find this lens on that link, Suzi also gave me link and couldnt find it there either. It is actually made by tamron but carries the quantaray name. I am interested in the range, something I can use for most all shots without the constant lens changing dance. Is 28-135 the best everyday range canon makes? I read advice somewhere (flickr I think..) it said "buy the best glass you can" I want enough range that I won't constantly reach for my telephoto but when I know that is the shot I am after I will use my telephoto. I hope that makes sense. Again thanks for any advice.
Angela,

I bought Tamron lenses years ago for my film-Canon and continue to do so today for my digital-Nikon. I have always been happy and satisfied with performance.

I think a lens made by Canon or Nikon is likely to be higher quality but there is usually a very significant price difference. One knock I have read on Tamron is that the lens is "not as robust". Well, I'm not a pro taking hundreds and hundreds of pictures, day after day. I haven't managed to wear one out yet :D

I don't think you can go wrong with either Sigma or Tamron if you don't want to shell out the money for a Canon lens.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Angela, I did a little more research. As you found out, the Quantaray 18-200 is a rebranded Tamron. Quantaray is Ritz's house brand, hence the salesperson pushing it hard (higher profit margin on house brands).

Generally, the reviewers don't do house brands, so it's hard to find a technical assessment of Quantaray lenses. However, there is a review by Ken Rockwell of the Tamron branded version, and here's the link to it:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tamron/18200.htm

Ken is one of the most reliable reviewers out there, so I would read carefully what he has to say about the lens.

Personally, I haven't tried a lens that goes from super wide angle to moderately long zoom - I tend to use the 28-135 by default. The large range is appealing, though, for the reasons you cite.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
May I chime in? I have three Sigma lenses and they've never failed me. 18mm to 35mm, 28mm to 105mm, and 70mm to 300mm. The 28/105 is my most used lens. I've never used Tamron or Quantaray.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Chuck thank you for finding that link. Exactly what I wanted/needed to hear. I enjoy photographing buildings, boats, and things that need straight lines at whatever distance I want. I think that makes my decision against this lens. I am now looking at a canon medium range for around the same price. Everybody's comments have been very helpful. Rusty I had remembered you had more second party lenses and was hoping you might weigh in. Thanks again.
Angela,

Another great alternative to deal with lens distortion is PTLENS available here.

Almost every lens has some distortion somewhere, especially with wide angle ones. You can get a trial download and the cost is only $15 and included a lifetime upgrade.
John
13 posts Page 1 of 2