Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
Howdy: is there is a distortion software available to get building stright?
Thank you
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Have you tried the correction tool in CS3 under Filter -> Distort -> Lens Correction? It will allow you to correct vertical and horizontal distortion, and a few other things.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Thank you Gene, I'am working on an image now as I type that I think will benefit from that filter, even though I don't mind the distortion on it but would like to see it straight to make my final.
Thanks 10000
Shalom,
Don
Senor Don,
I have used Lens-doc by Andromeda to straighten tilting buildings.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
I use PTLens, Don,
Like it a lot; it cost the grand sum of $15 and that includes all future updates.

Not just for distortion, I use it all the time to straighten photos prior to cropping. And, on occasion, to introduce distortion if I am after a particular look.

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thank you Chass and Rusty, the only thing i don't like about CS3 camera lens filter correction is that I have to crop the picture to make the correction so the picture loose the feeling IMHO.
Shalom,
Don
Don, good morning. I'd be surprised if any distortion correction plug-in could be used without cropping involved. Basically, it's a transform - tugging on the corners of the photo to straighten the building. Now you have a non-rectangular space that has to be cropped. So...something has to give.

Maybe PT lens will do something different, but I don't know how it can...
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
No, Chuck,
PTLens doesn't do anything magical. It's just as you describe: something is going to have to be cropped, whether I've used it to straighten or to work on distortion.

What I do try to remember is to account for this at the "taking the picture stage". If I am photographing a building that I know is going to have distortion I may try to correct, I try to remember to not crop in the viewfinder. I zoom out and leave myself lots of "dead space" surrounding the sides of the main image - the building. Then, when I correct the vertical distortion I don't end up having to crop away any parts of the building -- just the extra stuff I don't care about anyway.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, thanks. Leaving a little leeway in the picture is a good thing, whether it's for distortion or cropping to meet a stock photo size. Tough to remember, though, when you're looking for that perfect composition....
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Another thing to try if you can, is to keep the back of the camera parallel to the building you are taking a picture of. This will help eliminate a lot of that vertical distortion you get when pointing the camera up at the building. But doing that is easier said than done if you can't back far enough away, or are up high enough, to do that and still frame it the way you want to.

Another thing is picking up a perspective control lens if you're shooting a lot of architecture. But they are expensive. Here are some Nikon versions, and some Canon versions, of these lenses available at Adorama. None of them are cheap! But, a photographer friend of mine just picked one of the Canon versions up and he loves it.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
11 posts Page 1 of 2