Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
26 posts Page 1 of 3
I'm literally sick to my stomach. I probably did the dumbest thing ever after seeing what looked like a thread in my camera last night. Keep in mind I've never owned a good camera and didn't know the rules, and the stupid instruction manual doesn't say DON'T DO THIS!! Anyway, I brought the camera inside, made sure there was nothing in the viewfinder, removed the lens and looked through the viewfinder.......there's "stuff visible." So, I blew on the open hole........with my mouth, mind you. Now, the sensor has dust/spit/something on it that's showing up on the pictures (so I know it's not the mirror). How could I be so stupid. Anyway, I'm at a loss. Has anyone ever cleaned their sensor? If so, what did you use? The spots are horrible at F22 and still visible at F11. I sick, and I'm in tears and I don't know what to do. Plus, I live in the middle of BF Arkansas and there's no camera place anywhere around where I can go get help.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
http://www.beauphoto.com/cleaning/index.html

Hope this link helps you out! :cheer2:

Next best thing. You can send it to the manufacturer to get it cleaned 'professionally'
or Go to a Pro-Camera shop in your area they may have a cleaning service.
If you ask the manufacturer they will always say send it to them for the 'best' results. But I have seen them miss the mark before, and I have done just as good a job myself.

Read the link above it does help!
Best of luck and it is not the end of the world. Sensors get gunked up with all kinds of stuff.
Nikon D300/PSE6/CS4/LR2/Vista/Firefox
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

What you need is something like this here - I carry one in my camera bag just in case, stored in its own plastic bag.

A couple of points.

1. whenever you remove your lens make sure the camera is turned off if left on, the sensor is charged and will attrack anything that shows up like a magnet.

2. First, try a new turkey baster, ideally, hold the camera upside down, or put it on a tripod pointing down(ish), turn off camera, remove the lens and insert the turkey baster point even with the camera body and give it a couple of firm squeezes. Attach lens, power on and see what has happened.

3. If this didn't help and it is as bad a you say, I would NOT try any type of cleaner, get it back to a reputable dealer or Canon for cleaning.

Good luck.
John
I can't believe I was so stupid. Nolan, I'm reading the link you sent now, and it sounds as if I could maybe clean it with pre-moistened sensor wipes....just don't know if I have the nerve. I've heard that Canon will do a free cleaning for a camera under warranty..........I probably just need to chalk this one up as a learning experience and pack it up and ship it! Thanks for responding. I'll let you know how it all turns out. :crying:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Sunny, I'm sorry for your dilema. Sounds like sending your camera back to Canon for a good cleaning might be the best solution. I'm sure you are, actually, sick about this, but that's what warranties are for. Good luck. (Was there really a thread there? did it go away after you blew in to it?)
[size=150][b][color=#4000BF]Linda[/color][/b][/size]
[url=http://www.tootie501.blogspot.com][color=#0000BF]my blog[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/?user_id=14677]EIGHT galleries and counting...[/url]
Yes, whatever the thread looking thing was went away. I just got off the phone with a very nice Canon tech, and he told me it sounds as if pollen got in there, and it won't come off using a blower. So, I'm going to send it in. He suggested I send a copy of the order and paperwork along with the camera, and since it so new they might clean it under warranty. If not, there will be a charge, but at this point I don't care. So, I'm off to pack it up and get it ready to go to Canon. Live and learn!
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Sunny, the Rocket Blower that John sent you a link for is great.
A turkey baster will work but, there's something about the design of this that really puts out a strong blast of air. Because of the feet it extremely easy to use -- one hand holds the camera and one squeezes the bulb.

He sent you a Canadian link, you can find them all over around here and pay in US$ at the same price. I got mine in a local camera store. (but not in BF Arkansas :biggrin: )

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Sunny, It's really not that scary to use the pre moistened wipes. I've done it many times. Besides the rocket blower, arctic butterfly works well also. The stuff isn't really on the sensor but rather a clear glass filter that is put over the sensor to protect it. This isn't the end of the world(or your camera).
Sunny, I feel so bad for you. Have to called any local camera stores to see if they can clean it for you, instead of having to ship it off for weeks. I know the Ritz camera store here does sensor cleaning and have used them once.

edit: after rereading your post I saw that you are not close to a camera store, so my advice won't help.
Thanks, everyone, and I am going to get a Rocket Blower and some sensor swabs. For this time, however, I'm sending it in to Canon because I don't want to risk screwing it up and voiding the warranty. I've slept, my tears have dried, and I just found out my oldest daughter and her husband will be moving to Tulsa at the end of his military tour next year. My other daughter is in OKC, so can you guess that I'll probably be moving to Oklahoma within the next year or so? :cheer2: :cheer2: I'm stoked. Linda, you're right. It's not the end of the world. :chickendance:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
26 posts Page 1 of 3