Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
There is a short article in the current Outdoor Photographer by Rob Sheppard that I found quite interesting.
It's about Seeing Photography. Rob talks about the difference between snap shots and photographs. Quite insightful.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thanks I will check that out.
Tina B
Me too, I have always wondered what the difference is. Is there a link Chas???
I don't know if the article is online. I read the article in the magazine.You may want to check http://www.outdoorphotographer.com. Click on columns then click on Digital Horizons.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
The article is on line, and well worth reading. Some authors refer to constantly checking your LCD as "chimping" and put it down because it can cause you to miss shots. But what Rob discusses is certainly not that.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
Excellent link, Chas, and I fully agree with this article.
Direct link:
http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/colu ... raphs.html
There are other good articles, especially 'Print like Ansel Ad ams' in the home page.

A few notes of what I have seen since almost everyone came to digital photography:
- With LCD, no longer cutting heads or feet off!
- Better composition for some people who quickly learn how to improve their photography skills. For others, nothing new.
- I have been astonished at the precision I can achieve in framing with the LCD. My precision has also improved with my 20D viewfinder, I don't know why.
- One of the reasons I chose the G6 was that it had a normal viewfinder. I almost never use it except on very sunny days. The tilting LCD enables unusual angle shots and unobstrusive snapshots (in the best meaning of the word) especially in wide angle to situate the subject in its environment.
- For 'reportage' type, the 20D with 17-70 mm Sigma is excellent. Very responsive and excellent 'P' mode coupled with two dials for immediate exposure compensation and shutter/aperture balance. As you can see from my gallery, I love wide angle shots.
- I frequently control the results on the LCD (histogram), and I always take care of not blowing meaningful highlights even though I shoot raw. I am sure I would like the 'highlight priory mode' of more recent cameras.
- My larger enlargements are 20x30 mm, which means I can get very clean results with 800 ISO with the DSLR, whereas 100 is more prudent with the G6. I am not a fan of blur/bokeh, so I try to decide first which ISO setting is good for each situation.
- From what I have seen from friends who shoot only ordinary snapshots, the quality has improved. Technically, you can get excellent enlargements from the cheapest P&S of today. One main problem of shooting posed groups framing on the LCD is still the direct contact with the photographers' eye. Another one is the automatic focusing of P&S. Otherwise there is a tendency to produce high contrast, high saturation and sharpening images by default.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Your assessments are right on. As in the film days an SLR certainly helped you from cutting heads off.
Digital has given us the immediate response needed to correct flaws with the first shot. Getting it right in the camera also saves a bunch of time trying to fix things in PS or Elements.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Definitely, having that immediate feedback accelerates the learning process. Also, love being able change iso/wb from shot to shot rather than having to shoot up a roll before could change.
8 posts Page 1 of 1