Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
What is the best way of photographing through glass or perspex? Sometines I want to photograph my ratties or hamsters in a perspex cage.
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
If you are woorried about reflections then try a polarizing filter. Be aware though that you will lose about two stops of light when using this filter. This can make shooting a moving creature very difficult. If you are using artificial light have it coming in from the side while you shoot from the front. This will prevent glare and reflection on the front of the glass. I shot some tropical fish for a friend recently and had the camera in front of the tank with my flash attached to an off camera flash cord positioned at the side of the tank. It worked well. Different effects can be produced by pointing the flash up or down.
I was highly amused when a photographer friend suggested taking the lid off the cage and using off-camera flash. What he didn't know is that one thing I want to do is get better pictures of the poison arrow frogs at the zoo!
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
Same sulution. Off camera flash. Hold the flash as far above or off to the side as the cord allows in order to avoid glare on the glass where you are shooting. If there is a railing a few feet frtom the glass as there sometimes is to prevent kids from banging on the glass you are out of luck as any distance between the flash and the glass will produce glare.
What I have done on this.
1. clean the glass (some places might get upset with this ...) or find a clean spot.
2. put on your camera hood.
3. place the hood up against the glass and shoot away.

the only time i got glare, when i didn't get the hood flat on the glass...

:wave:
Dane
-------------------------------------
Knight Reflections

My Flickr, not the horse
-------------------------------------
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
I also do what Dane has done with great success.
Ann, one other point,
Whether you are using flash or not, you will probably get better results if your camera is NOT head-on to the glass side. Always go for an angle to the glass rather than 90 degrees.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty wrote: Ann, one other point,
Whether you are using flash or not, you will probably get better results if your camera is NOT head-on to the glass side. Always go for an angle to the glass rather than 90 degrees.

Rusty

Unless you are using a rubber style lens shade-then you do want to be flush to the glass(touching the glass with the shade). Yet another use for that "new-fangled" :P invention Rusty.
8 posts Page 1 of 1