Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
14 posts Page 2 of 2
I want to go a little bit further then how the camera feels in a persons hands. If a person is stepping up to a DSLR from a little P&S it is likely that any DSLR will feel foreign in this persons hands and as far as the controls being intuitive, I don't really know how a new DSLR user is supposed to be aware of this after having everything automated before the switch. I personally have always ordered my DSLR cameras sight unseen based on the cameras features and I have never had any trouble adapting to whatever size the camera body was. I held a friends Canon XTI and it seemed very small to me but I was able to work everything on it and it probably would have felt normal after a while. By the same token pro photographer Laurie Excel has smallish hands and shoots the big Nikon professional bodies. My experience with brick and mortar camera stores has been sales people that didn't seem to know as much as I did and would say and do anything to make a sale. Sometimes camera companies have promos with incentives for the store to sell their cameras. So, what am I driving at here. I think that if possible the buyer should bring a person along that has DSLR knowledge. Not necessarily somene who is a fan of Nikon or Canon but someone who can explain exactly what " feeling good in your hands" is and "intuitive controls is supposed to mean
Howdy:
I never buy a camera for how it's feel but for what it does.
The feeling to me is like a new shoe will get there as i use it.
But what it does have to be there from day one.
So to me the must important thing is what I need to do and how the camera will contribute to help me do it. An example of this is the 2-1/4 format cameras like Rollei and Hasseblads they are really bulkie and funny to handle ( like a box) for many people but to me are like part of my hand. Hope this ilustrate my point.

So what she need to ask her self is... what she want to do with the camera or what kind of photography she would like to do. Then look for the camera that will get her there.

Just my two centavos.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Dondiego, you are essentially saying the same thing that I said earlier except it goes further then that. Allot of P&S shooters hear that if they really want their photos to improve they have to move up to a DSLR. This is true to a point but quite a few P&S shooters don't have the faintest idea of what a DSLR offers and when they finally get one they are completely confused by the controls and continue to shoot in full auto mode which essentially gives them a three pound extremely bulky P&S camera. There was a woman in another forum who had problems operating her Nikon D80 and thought she could somehow solve them by moving up to a Nikon D300, considered a pro camera by quite a few people. When she finally got the camera she found herself in the same boat she was in with her D80 and was looking for a quick online guide to the 300. Buying a camera is not like buying a pair of pants. It is more like buying a computer, a trumpet or a dishwasher. The features and level of quality are the important thing. Since most new camera people moving up to a DSLR do not really understand the features then it is helpful to bring someone along who does. As far as feeling good in a persons hands, most DSLR cameras are approximately the same size with the controls in the same place. Familiarity with the camera and its controls are what makes it feel good in your hands.
I agree. I wanted something more versatile than my P&S, although because of weight problems, and a slight tremor which could make changing lenses difficult if it worsens with age, so I opted for a hybrid/bridge camera. I wanted one with a good optical zoom (mine has 20x) and a good macro facility (mine has a super macro setting from as little as 1cm) However, I was determined to get away from the auto settings and have been learning as much as I can from books and magazines. I have ventured into 'Manual' although much of the time I'm in Aperture Priority. I'm really pleased with it. It is an Olympus SP-570UZ. My digital imaging course a fortnight ago was really helpful. What I need now is co-operation from my pets! Photo time is when I wish I had lazy bucks instead of hyperactive does!
The best angle to approach a problem is the try angle.

Ann

Ann's Gallery
14 posts Page 2 of 2