Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
16 posts Page 2 of 2
:thanks: for the link Steve. Have bookmarked the site. FYI rubbing alcohol makes a good glass cleaner.
Keep in mind that any diffuser works by having indirect light striking the subject after bouncing on surrounding walls, ceilings or other surfaces. Which means it can be highly effective in small rooms and only lose intensity in large rooms.
I don't use external diffusers, only the built-in one in my Canon 430. However... I have fitted a scratch attachment on the rear of the flash. This enables me to stick a small white cardboard rectangle as a reflector. When the flash is oriented to bounce on the ceiling, part of the light is bounced directly on the subject, you get a mixture of direct and bounced light. You can vary the surface of the part of the carboard by sticking it lower or higher.
- low: you get just enough direct light to add catchlights and avoid 'racoon eyes'
- up: You get balanced lighting, and the surface of the reflector is superior to that of the flash head or most reflectors, which gives less sharp projected shadows behind people.

Costs nothing. Plus it's a trick used by many pros... you won't be considered an amateur or 'an uncle Joe with its Rebel' any longer!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/image/1028231/21411
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
The good ideas just keep pouring in :thanks:

I'll be off to Walgreen's today or tomorrow. And, Michel, your example really makes a lot of sense to me.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Great info here - I've been considering one like the omni-bounce since that is more in my price range. I'd like to have something for shipboard pictures during our next cruise.
Well, Steve,
mine is better than yours! Walgreen's was having a sale, regular price $1.99, today only 99¢ :biggrin:

I am sticking this on the end of a Nikon SB600 ... was a bit loose. I had some of these pad things you put under furniture sitting on hardwood flooring -- peel off a paper strip to expose contact cement. Worked great and provides a nice press fit.

Walgreen's Diffuser.jpg
Walgreen's Diffuser.jpg (153.43 KiB) Viewed 814 times

The diffuser works well too. :D

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Hi Rusty,
I'm glad you like the alcohol diffuser. I was pretty skeptical when I first read about it, but it really does make a difference. A diffuser is nice when your camera's held vertically, too - a lot more light can be put where you want it.

On-camera flash may not be the ideal way to provide light, but it's a lot better with some kind of diffuser.

I hope you remembered LindaJ's tip and washed all your windows with the alcohol. :D

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
16 posts Page 2 of 2