Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
40 posts Page 2 of 4
"Canon G-5"? I thought the Canon G-10 was a very nice looking camera and the top of their p&s range...... 14.5Mp and does Raw - great little extra camera for the pocket, a little under $500.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
I'm guessing Don Diego made a slip of the keystrokes;
probably thinking of the just announced 5D Mark II --- 21mp, full frame, MSRP $2,699 (that's body only)

I looked at a G10 in camera store today - idle curiosity, I'm not in the market. Nice looking compact with lots of features. So slightly below $500 that local sales tax here pushes it over that point. The salesman said the big deal about it was that it represents a totally new sensor technology from Canon, not just an incremental change to something old from the previous Gs or Ss.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
That makes sense - I have been salivating about the new Canon 50D which also claims new sensor technology that is supposed to dramatically reduce noise and runs up the ISO to 12800.

Oh well, maybe when they announce the 60D, I'll be ready for the 50D. :chickendance: :chickendance:
John
I'd love to get hold of a Nikon D700.......but with my job situation the way it is right now, forking over big bucks for anything would be taking a risk. Not that $2900 is all that big, but I may need it later. But then, if I ever get serious and start trying to make some money with it, it may pay for itself eventually. But I've been thinking that for a couple years now.
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
the Canon G10............ No mention of a different Sensor on DPReview, but on the "Canon Talk" Forum there were a couple of very interesting posts.....

This one shows some images which are very high on details in both shadows and highlights - almost HDR-like.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=29592156

While this one shows a very high amount of noise at ISO800 and above......
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=29604662
Oddly, the poster of this one seems to think there isn't that much noise, but I can't say I agree.

Worth a look at other threads there - most people seem to think it's excellent.

Gallery
geoff_chalcraft wrote: the Canon G10............ No mention of a different Sensor on DPReview, but on the "Canon Talk" Forum there were a couple of very interesting posts.....

This one shows some images which are very high on details in both shadows and highlights - almost HDR-like.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=29592156

While this one shows a very high amount of noise at ISO800 and above......
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=29604662
Oddly, the poster of this one seems to think there isn't that much noise, but I can't say I agree.

Worth a look at other threads there - most people seem to think it's excellent.

Geoff,
From the samples of noise shown in this post, you cannot judge how the noise will affect the final image quality. Using a 100% crop is meaningless unless you say the size of the crop : 400x800 pixels. Read all answers to this post. Print the full picture at 12x17 cm without denoising and juge the result. Or downsize to your display size (1280x960 pixels for me). If you are not satisfied, denoise, otherwise, unless you want to print big sizes (A4 - A3) why bother?
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Well I went further down that thread and found the original (or the 800x600 version of it) and couldn't see any noise - so I downloaded that last one, "whole.jpg", looked at the exif and found that it's actually ISO100.... hardly surprising that it's not noisy !

Gallery
Brother Rusty, you are 100% right I mean 5D not 5G. One of those AARP moments, :rotfl:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
I have a G-9 that I bought some time ago by the recomendations of my brother John Gray. It is a prety nice camera and it does RAW that is important to me but I never go with it above ISO 200 for I will get to much noice.

Like Gene I would love to get a D700 by the way the 24-120 lens is not very sharp according to Ken Rockwell test.

I have 4 Nikon 3 film cameras with motor drives and a lot of Nikon manual lenses including a 35mmPC lens for arquitecture,105 macro, 55macro, 24mmF2 if i remember well, 35mm-2.8, 50-1.2, 1.4, 2.8,80-200zoom, 180mm, 500F8 mirror lens, extender 2X and bellows new in box for sale at excellent prices. i also have a vivitar 70-210 zoom series1and either a 400 or 600 vivitar series1this lenses are super sharp and are classics. Any one interested send me a PM.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
geoff_chalcraft wrote: Well I went further down that thread and found the original (or the 800x600 version of it) and couldn't see any noise - so I downloaded that last one, "whole.jpg", looked at the exif and found that it's actually ISO100.... hardly surprising that it's not noisy !

Of course... I meant printing the original 800 ASA picture. Since it is not provided, print the 800 ASA crop at the actual size. My maximum usual printing paper size is A4 (21 x 29.7 cm). The crop shown then represents 3.8 x 1.9 cm if the full image is printed at 21x28 cm, that is one and a half inch wide. No contest, larger sensors will always be better for low light and low noise, but I say 800ASA is OK for me, and 1600 is sufficient for 10x15cm prints. My last assignments in low light were awful challenges even with my 20D at 1600 and 3200... I wish I had the new 50D!
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
40 posts Page 2 of 4