Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
40 posts Page 1 of 4
Howdy amigos:
I just got to read some emails and found the photokina 2008 mind blowing. Three items blowed my mind:
1-Adobe image resizing by seam carving.
2-New Canon 5D 21Mpixels for $3,500
3- Leica super large 33 x 45 medium format on 35mm body is the surprice of the century. This is a dream come true.
WAO, the ski is the limit. :chickendance: :cheer2: :chickendance: :thumbsup:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
I'm undecided between the Hasselblad H3DII-50 - it's a 50Mpixel camera. It's only $28,000. Next April they're bringing out the H3DII-60 - 60Mpixels - at around $32,000. They're bargains, really, because they come complete with an 80mm lens.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, I might get a new SD card.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
:rotfl: :rotfl: Geoff.
I'm undecided between the Hasselblad H3DII-50 - it's a 50Mpixel camera. It's only $28,000. Next April they're bringing out the H3DII-60 - 60Mpixels - at around $32,000. They're bargains, really, because they come complete with an 80mm lens.

They make great portraits! And there is a price to be paid for that kind of quality. Just not sure I'd ever be able to pay, or even think about paying that much. I'm still saving for my Ferrari. :biggrin:
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
I was just thinking about the 60 MegaPixels of the next Hasselblad.......
My current camera has 10Mp, and the jpegs open in PSE at 72dpi at about 53 inches wide. So using the 60Mp, a 72dpi shot would be 300 inches wide. And even if you upped the resolution to 300dpi, a factor of about four, which is just about the most a printer can use, it would still be over 70 inches (6 feet) wide!

So there are two choices (unless all your prints are poster size)... you either reduce the resolution - making half of the 60Mp useless - or just pretend that your printer (and your eye) can handle about 1000dpi - which it can't. Either way, most of the 60Mp is useless. Isn't it?

Gallery
Geoff,

My wife doesn't sleep well. She has a radio by the bed, volume set real, real low. When she wakes up she punches the snooze button and the murmur of sound puts her back to sleep. Two or three nights ago I woke up to hear some so-called expert talking about "good cameras to buy"; he was covering alternatives to dSLRs.

He blabbed on about the usual suspects: Canon PowerShot, Fugi Finepix, Panasonic Lumix and the like. He then, out of the blue said, "Oh, and Hasselblad is an excellent 'larger format' camera." He didn't even hint at price but briefly covered wonderful features.

I'm thinking, why is this idiot even mentioning a Hassie? I can't believe 1/2 of 1% of the people listening to the radio at 2:00AM for "camera info" would have any interest in such a purchase.

I know for years and years the Hassie was one of the cameras of choice for fashion photographers and others that did similar studio work. I suppose the digital version still is.

When I was in Vietnam I ran across a GI (combat engineer unit) with an army issue camera, looked like an oversize SLR. I asked, what's that? He showed it to me, it was a 70mm - exactly twice the size of the standard 35mm frames. Now, unless it costs an arm and a leg, I would be real interested in a dSLR version of something like that -- would love to have a negative that size.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Hi,
That kind of resolution would be great - I don't think I've ever printed the full frame, film or digital, in my life. With Hasselblad-size resolution, you could crop your image severely and still have photo-quality prints as big as your printer would allow ("Sweetheart, now that we've sold the cars to buy my new Hasselblad, we'll need to rent out little Melvin's room to pay for the new printer." :D )

Marketing being what it is ("create a need then fill it" :D ), and science being what it is ("because we can" :D ), I wouldn't be surprised to see hyper-pixel cameras for the masses before long.

Steve
My Gallery: Mostly In Focus
The Owl of Minerva takes wing only at dusk
And at that price, the answer is clear - one for the wide angle lens and one for the tele - so you don't have that pesky problem of changing lenses in the field! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
John
Yes, there was always a lot of snobbery about the Hasselblad, from way back. I actually got to use one regularly for a while.... back in my days in the Royal Navy, I was given the extra job of ship's photographer and it meant looking after a big aluminium case full of Hasselblad (I think it was a "C/M")and a couple of lenses. Big surprise to me - I'd only just started getting really interested in photography and was still on my first decent SLR at the time (1983). First time I loaded the film, it ended up back to front - but still worked! Maybe if I'd persevered it may have been fine but I found it so difficult to use - that's why studio photographers had two or three assistants, I suppose.

Around the same time (mid-80s to mid-90s) a lot of pros in the fashion and glamour business were using a Pentax 645. As its name implies, it used a 6cm x 4.5cm format (the Hasselblad was usually 6cm x 6 cm). But the Pentax looked and handled just like a normal SLR of its day (though it had manual metering). Pentax tried to re-introduce the camera as the 645N - a digital version with 18.5Mp - about three years back, but I understand its Kodak CCD wasn't all that good. It would be great if it had the same sensor technology as the top of the range Canons and Nikons - I'd actually consider getting one.

Gallery
Hpowdy:
The Leica S2 is a 35mm body with a medium format sensor, it's body will retail for $12,000.00. Not only that but when you think about it the lenses should be arround the $2,000 ball park so you are talking about $18,000 give and take. In addition you need a monster of a computer with several T-bites of RAM and so many more External HD's. And then you need at least a 64" printer with lots of ink and paper. It get's rediculous.

But, If someone here is in the mood and is willing to give it to me I'll take it any time. :rotfl:

Now If I can only get a new Canon G-5 or a Nikon 700 I'll be extreamly happy with it. :D
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
40 posts Page 1 of 4