Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know what the "Sunny 16" & the "Moony 11" rules are or what they refer to?
Back in the film days, way way back, most of the inexpensive cameras didn't have light meters. Heck, my first camera didn't have one and cost the equivalent of over $400 in today's dollars. When you bought a box of film there was always a folded sheet of tissue paper inside with photo tips to include exposure. They would classify the "light" as bright/sunny, cloudy, inside-incandescent, etc. etc.

Even though most cameras didn't have light meters all of the film has an ISO rating because many serious folks had purchased hand-hold light meters so you used the ISO to set the meter for the film loaded.

Sunny-16 means that, on a bright day with the subject in full sun, you would be properly exposed at f/16 if you set your shutter speed equal to (recripicol) the ISO of the film. If your ISO was, say 64, then you would set at f/16, 1/60th.

Moony-11 is the same thing for bright (probably full-moon) moonlight: f/11 and a shutter speed related to the ISO number.

Sure is a lot easier now. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I bought my first camera with a built-in light meter.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Great explanation Rusty.
Ive heard of it before, but never questioned it. Im now taking a photography class and someone quoted it and I had no idea what it was. Your correct also about moony11. There was a picture of the moon when someone was asking about it. Thank you for your help :D
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
3 posts Page 1 of 1