Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Are available for download. You'll need at least ACR 4.5 or/and Lightroom 2.0 to use them. Also remember they only work for RAW images not jpegs etc. I know because I spent 5 minutes banging my keyboard keys progressively harder all the while muttering "this stupid *&%# thing DOES NOT WORK!" Oh wait a minute hehe.. :oops: Nevermind. Looks good can't wait to see the final product.
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles
Thanks Jeff, I have downloaded them and they are a great way to select the best profile before starting editing in the basic adjustment tab.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
Thanks Jeff,

I downloaded and installed the profiles and editor. I don't see much difference in the profiles for my Canon, but always best to keep up to date.
John
Howdy:
According to what I read on Color Confidence and Color Management books camera profiles are good or useful only under control light situations like studio lighting under one roof were every thing is under control.

But for outdoor photography they are not as useful for you can't apply the same control of the lighting. To me that make sence, for the simple reason that IF in your digital darkroom we must have specific constant lighting conditions for monitor, printing calibration and image inspection to work properly. How will be possible for the camera calibration to provide the benefits intended outside were those controls are compleatly absent.
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
Here is how I see this camera profile choice:
First, it is not something new, since many brands offer different choices, such as neutral, faithful, portrait, landscape (Canon)... Based on your subject and rendering intent, this choice changes the colors to make them more like what the average viewer expects. In the film days you would choose Agfachrome for portraits, Fuji for foliage, Ekatchrome or Kodachrome for travel shots. The truth in colors for different subjects and different culture is exactly that: subjective.
The above choices are set in camera for jpegs and are tagged for raw conversion. With Canon's softwares, DPP or RIT, the tags are interpreted. With older versions of ACR, those tags could not be interpreted. Now Adobe tried to mimic those effects with more or less success. This gives you the opportunity to start your editing in ACR with better settings for, say, skin, sky or foliage. I often have a quick look to find the best starting point.
Those choices are just like presets.
The new thing is that in the beta profiles package, you have the opportunity to make your own presets. For this task, I agree with you Don, not everybody will make good use of this feature. But... I am convinced there may be a possibility for creative purposes.
Michel B
PSE6, 11,12,13.1 - LR 5.7 Windows 7 64 - OneOne Photo Perfect Suite - Canon 20D, Pana TZ6 - Fuji X100S
Most used add-ons: Elements+

Mes Galeries
5 posts Page 1 of 1