Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
15 posts Page 2 of 2
I have a cheapy Bernell. It does not hold our camera very well.
I have not got to the point where I am need to spend 300 on a tripod yet. Lots of other places it can go. I would love a macro lens. :bigwink:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
I'll admit it, mine's a cheaper Sunpack 7500 Pro with a Sunpack Platinum Plus head that I picked up right after I got my D70s. It came from Best Buy and cost a whopping $79, but it works OK for now other than being a bit on the heavy side. Hmm...Christmas is coming and I have a bunch of kids that need to buy me something! :twisted:

Yeah, I know...that's an evil thought!
GeneVH

My SmugMug
My PrestoPhoto
Now on Flickr

CS5/LR4/Nikon D300 & D70s/Win7
I have an old Sunpack from my days doing video of the kids sports. I recently purchase a carbon fiber from Amovana. The carbon fiber was great because of the weight reduction. I added a Manfrotto head which made it even more valuable. But then on of the legs stripped out so I am now dead. I switched the head over to my monopod and back to using my Sunpack. I am bummed but can't pop the cash for a new one right now.

Stick with a major brand that has a warranty. It is to big of an investment to take the chances.

RonH
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
I did as Rusty suggested and visited the local camera store...
I tried out the Manfrotto that has a convertible center column that adjusts to horizontal...
Very nice. I also looked at the Promaster brand, those are nice also and lifetime warrenty
I am not sure about the ball head, there were a few in stock, I am kind of leaning towards
the joystick ball head, I like how you can just press the bar and turn the camera, I am
still researching both items...Thanks for all the information you'll have provided
I will let you'll know what I choose...
:thanks:
blemaire
It's the little moments that make life big.
Nikon D200
I ordered one of the Adorama "Flashpoint" carbon fiber tripods and found it to be poorly constructed so I sent it back. I wound up buying a Feisol carbon fiber tripod sold by http://www.reallybigcameras.com and I am very happy with it. As with any product that you are spending money on you get what you pay for. Gitzo is the best but extremely expensive. A few things to be aware of when buying a good tripod. Manufacturers usually exagerate the amount of weight that the tripod is supposed to hold. Get a tripod rated to hold a heavier load then you will be putting on it. Get a tripod that extends to the height of your eye when the camera is on it without extending the center column very much. Extending the center column creates instability and defeats the real purpose. Avoid any tripods that have bracing near the bottom that joins the three legs together. These are impossible to set up on uneven ground. Spend as much as your budget will allow. A good tripod will last a lifetime.
15 posts Page 2 of 2