Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
23 posts Page 1 of 3
I just ordered the Canon 70-300 f4/5.6 IS USM lens from Amazon! I ordered it less than 12 hours ago, and already it has been shipped! It should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. :P

I decided to get the 70-300 first because currently my lenses only go to 200. I am hoping I can save up enough $$ to possibly get the 18-200 sometime next year, along with a speedlite hotshoe flash, battery grip, a 1.4 telextender, maybe the 28-135 lens...... well you know the story! :cheer2:
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
Canon XSi - 18-55mm IS lens - 70-300 IS USM lens
PSE5 / PSE6
WinXP - Pentium 4 CPU 2.4GHz - 1.0GB Ram
Good for you!!! :cheer2: We want to see pix when you get it.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
You will love it, I have it and use it all the time. I keep in on my xt all the time as my walk around lens.
I have a 70-300 and love it. I have shot a lot of pictures with the lense and I think it has given me my best color. I also use a 18-70 and a 11-18. I don't use the 11-18 that much but when I do it is a great effect. Keep us updated on how things are going.
Before I was just tired now I'm retired!
http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/23789
Sunny, Suzi and Ron,

I am sure too I will love the lens when i am able to try it out. I have been working a lot of overtime lately, and will be continuing to do so for some time it looks like, so I won't have a lot of time to try it out like I wish I could. Also Indiana is going into the winter months, which in my are means a lot of gray overcast ugly skies. Not perfect picture taking weather. But I will try when I can to take some test shots!
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
PSE5 / PSE6
Excellent purchase, Charles. You will get a lot of use.

I bought a 70-300 a year ago but didn't use it much because I got an inexpensive version -- doesn't have VR (IS). I just couldn't hold it steady enough all the way out at 300. I only used it when I was able to put it on a tripod. You will not have that problem with yours.

Now that I have a monopod I am using it all the time and getting excellent results.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty,

I am hoping I will get a lot of use out of it. I still am hoping to someday get the 18-200, but that will take a while to save up the pennies to get that lens. I got a monopod last summer, so I know that will help me even with the IS. My current lenses are the 18-55 that came with my camera, and an older 80-200 (new 1991). i will still have a gap missing (55-70) but it should not be that much of a problem most times.

Along with ordering the lens, I also ordered a lens hood and a UV filter. I have never owned a lens hood before, so this will be a new experience for me.
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
PSE5 / PSE6
Lens hood will really help get more saturated pics. Until you see a shot side-side with and without and at same settings a person doesn't realize how much even light not bright enough to cause visible flare affects the shot.
I have this lens and use it quite often when travelling when I don't want to haul my big heavy telephotos. It is an amazing lens considering the price and it has a UD element which is usually only found on Canon L series lenses. My only advice to you at this time is to ditch the UV filter unless you bought one of very high quality that is multi coated. Cheaper filters will degrade your image and non coated ones will create a problem with lens flare. You will get all the protection you need from your lens hood. The only time I put a UV filter on a lens is when I am shooting in a wind blown sandy area.
ljameso1 wrote: Lens hood will really help get more saturated pics. Until you see a shot side-side with and without and at same settings a person doesn't realize how much even light not bright enough to cause visible flare affects the shot.

Linda,

I had not (yet) thought of doing that. Thank you for the idea! When i get a good chance with decent weather, I want to take a shot with and without the lens hood to see what the difference is for myself!
By saturated, do you mean a deeper richer color?
Charles

Inspeqtor's Gallery
PSE5 / PSE6
23 posts Page 1 of 3