Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
12 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi,
Snow in Seattle is not a normal thing, so I thought I would try the manual settings in my camera for the first time.
Settings I used were 1/80, f8, ISO 400. Also I was reading Rusty's thread on snow pix, what is EV compensation?
Thanks,
Dawn

Attachments

Beautiful pictures! They say that stuff is headed my way. But you can keep it. I can not answer your questions though.
Beautiful pictures, but they appear to be a bit to dark. But this should help you Here is another explanation of EV compensation
Thanks for the comments ladies and the link Smiles, still not sure that I understand but this is my first camera that is not a point and shoot so I am still learning. Here's another that I took a little later in the morning.

Attachments

Nice shots, the last one is really good. Looks like everyone is getting snow but here, whew.
My husband and I saw a coyote just before I took that last shot!
Try this, Dawn,

(I/m using a D80 but I'll bet you the controls are in about the same place with your D60)
Push the playback arrow (upper left on the back) and then push the "up arrow" of your navigation wheel until you get the playback view that shows you the histogram.

You want the right side of the histogram to get close to the right side - but not close enough to be clipped (slop over is the proper technical term). If your histogram is not close to the right side, hold down the exposure compensation button on the right side of the top of the camera (it is black/silver, +/-) and turn the command dial --- watch the control panel. This will tell you what "EV" you are dialing in: you want it to be "plus something", not "minus". Take another shot and look at your histogram. If it's not yet over close to the right side, hold down the "+/- button" again and use the command dial to increase the "+ EV setting".

If the histogram shows you that you have slopped over on the right side, just dial in a lower "EV compensation number".

Exposure compensation is only available in P, S or A shooting modes. Look up "Exposure" in your manual index; "compensation" is a sub-heading there.

Rusty

PS - it's not just snow - I use it all the time if the sky is blown out.
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Shooting in manual for snow is really easy. Point the camera at snow(focus doesn't matter). See what exposure the camera's meter tells you and expose the image 11/2-2 stops more exposure. Snow will then be white instead of blue. Camera meters are set to give everything a midtone exposure and white snow is that much brighter. EV compensation comes into play using the program modes. You have to tell the program to over expose. Works if scene is mostly white, but if has a lot of dark tree trunks the meter might pick those up. Manual is more reliale.
Thanks for the tips, I'll try it if I get brave enough to venture out in the cold again. Rusty, thanks for the camera specific tips, appreciate it!
Linda is absoluely correct. The cameras exposure meter wants to make everything grey. The same concept applies to photographing dark objects except you will then subtract one or two stops. Anyone who has tried taking a picture of a black cat and had it looking a dull washed out black has experienced this metering phenomenon. There is no exact exposre. It is best to check your histogram.
12 posts Page 1 of 2