Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Here is a test of how various DSLRs do with low light/high ISO situations. Chuck, you will certainly be pleased!

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?arti ... cademy_new
Reka
CS3 on Vista, Nikon D40 (50mm1.4, 18-55mm and 70-300mm VR) and FIREFOX
ImageMOM

My galleries <------------------> My blog
Bummer, none of my cameras are on the list. Sure would like the have the d5 or is it 5d. Whichever would love to have it.
Thanks for the link, Reka. Reading the accompanying article, the point is made clear once again that for low-light situations, even the least expensive DSLR's are far better than compacts. Both the Canon G10 and the Panasonic Lumix LX3 - the leaders in the compact category - did very poorly in low light. I can attest to that.... :oops:

However, there are a lot of occasions where a compact will be in my pocket or on my belt when the need for a photo arises; the DSLR and lenses can't be there all the time. Tradeoffs...
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Ah - back to the Canon G10.... very nice camera - I'd been recommending it to my daughter as an alternative to a DSLR. Then I found a noise test online (at http://www.dcresource.com/) and, knowing that my daughter is very likely to want it for shots at concerts (she's on the staff of "London Student" magazine) came to the conclusion that it would be, frankly, useless. I then compared the Panasonic LX3, which I'd heard good things about, and the noise was about the same - and it doesn't have a viewfinder anyway (something I'd never dream of doing is waving a camera at arm's length). (OK, it has an optional viewfinder - at about half the cost of the camera). In the end, as my daughter has small hands, I'm trying to get her to check out (and handle) an Olympus DSLR, in particular the e410.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Geoff, good analysis - and good advice. The Olympus E-420 (successor to the E-410) gets very good marks and is the smallest of the DSLR's at this time. Important to pick the camera that fits your needs, and a DSLR sounds like the appropriate choice for you daughter.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
5 posts Page 1 of 1