Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
I have a question, when I attach my speedlite to my camera I don't get the focus points anymore. Is that normal???
Suzi,

I have a 30D and the 580 EX II speedlite and the focuspoint lights do show, so maybe yours isn't tracking something right.
John
I use a Nikon SB-600 with a Nikon camera; the focus points show up in the viewfinder exactly the same whether the flash is turned on or off. This was true for my prior D50 as well as the current D80.

I can't think of any reason for the flash to affect the mechanics of how the camera focuses. Seems to me like two totally independent systems.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
John, that is the speedlight that I have and I am not getting any focus points at all. It doesn't seem to make any difference what mode I am in, nothing, nada. I am using it on the xsi canon with the 50mm 1.4. Any pointers as to what to do???
Suzi, is the speedlight made by Canon?
If the camera and light brands are the same, I can think of no logical reason. Even if the brands are different, I would expect exposure problems more likely than focus problems.

I would take them both into a camera store and ask the clerk if s/he has any ideas.

Rusty

Suzi, I had this happen once before and it turned out that I was in AF-Servo or something like that. You may want to play around with the AF mode to see if the focus points come back.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Hummmmmmmmmm, that is what I have my setting at , hold on a sec. Chuck, you are a genius, that was the problem!!!!
We got smart people here.

Rusty :woohoo:

Yes, Rusty we sure do!!!
I don't remember much anymore..... :oops: .....but that one probably stuck because I thought I had a camera malfunction when I couldn't get the AF points to show when I was experimenting with AF and AE locking. Not sure whether I just kept fiddling with the dials or looked it up, but I was so relieved that the camera wasn't broken...
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
11 posts Page 1 of 2