Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
31 posts Page 2 of 4
chas3stix wrote: No,Chuck. I usually avoid hooking my camera up to the computer.
Chas

Chas, I'm glad you got it working. I don't usually hook up my cameras directly to the computer, but I've read enough recently to believe that it really isn't risky to do so. I bought high-capacity card (SDHC) and my regular SD card reader wouldn't read it. So...while waiting for the delivery of my SDHC reader, I downloaded directly from the camera. Seemed a little slower, but no harm done. In a pinch, it's a safe route to go. Just need to make sure the camera battery has a fair amount of charge left.

Just for future reference....!
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Chuck, why is it bad to download right from the camera. That is the way I have always done it. Am I doing something wrong???
Suzi,
There really is nothing wrong with downloading photos straight from your camera. There is one thing you MUST have to do this. Fully charged batteries. Why? Because if your batteries go dead while downloading,you risk the chance of corrupting your image file on your data card. Being the conservative person that I am,I use a card reader on my laptop and use the media slots on my desktop.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
f/16 on a sunny day.....:)
Thanks, Chas for the answer. To be honest I never have checked my battery level when downloading but will sure do that now. Learn something new every day.
suzib wrote: Chuck, why is it bad to download right from the camera. That is the way I have always done it. Am I doing something wrong???

Suzi, I'm sorry if I got you worried! There was a time, way back in the Dark Ages of Digital Photography (like in 2002 :D ) when most of us urged each other to get card readers and NEVER use the direct camera-to-computer link. There was concern that spurious voltages from the computer could fry the insides of the $1000 camera instead of just zapping a $50 storage card. That advice seems to be passe', although I still download 99% of my images using a card reader.

For me, especially when traveling, carrying a small card reader (mine looks just like a USB drive) and not the specialized cables some of my cameras have needed just makes sense; I also don't have to worry about putting in a fresh battery or recharging the one that's in there before direct downloading.
Chuck
LR2/CS3/PSE6/Canon 450D, G10/Panasonic LX3
Hey Chas, did you foud the fountain of youth? That new avatar make you look like a kid :D
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
I've been told I don't act my age so I used the built-in webcam on my laptop to take a few years off.... :woohoo:
Thanks for the compliment,senor Don.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
I have ACDSee Pro 2. I also have vista on a new computer. I have not got around to instally ACDSee yet. What are the problems with the 2 together and what is file association?

Sorry if I sound a little dumb.

Angie
Angie,
I'm glad you asked. A file association will tie certain types of files to certain programs. Take Jpeg for instance.
If you tie Jpegs to ACDSee 2.5 Pro, Photoshop elements will not recognize them because they are tied to ACDSee.
When you install,ACDSee will ask you what types of files you want it to open by default. And there are a slew of different types of files.
I had to go into Vista and change many of the file associations so that PSE7 could work with them. If all this confuses you,maybe someone on the forum can explain it better.
Michel and Courtney(mtbspike) also use 2.5Pro.
Chas
Chas's Gallery
Angie, it might be best if you started a new thread on this so Michel and Courtney will see it. Just a thought
31 posts Page 2 of 4