Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
the kids gave me a new monitor for Christmas. It is a Westinghouse 26 inch. It is huge and I think I will like it but everything is distorted on the screen. It looks like all my photos have been stretched wider and every thing looks out of whack. How do I set the darn thing so all looks ok. I am running Windows xp on a PC.
Help!!! :help:
Tina B
Tina,

It sounds like your system hasnt detected the monitors resolution and set it to that (whatever it is).

If your monitor came with an installation CD/DVD, did you install it?

If you did and you are experisncing the issue, read the documentation and get the monitors native resolution - the one it was designed to work best at.

Next, you need to set your system to that native resolution or if your video card doesn't support the monitor's native resolution, one that has the same aspect ratio. For example, my LG L222WT has a NR of 1680 by 1050 for an aspect ratio of 1.6. You will need to find that exactly or a resolution that matched it in terms of aspect ratio - either exactly or as close as possible.

Depending on your computers OS (XP or Vista) and your video card, it gets kind of variable after that but for XP, right click on your desktop, then left click on properties, then on the \Display Properties, click on the Settings tab. There is a slider that lets you adjust screen resolution - move it and try and match the NR of the monitor, or have a calculator and check out the ones you do have and pick one that is exact or close and you will be OK. The computer will change and show you the results and give you a Yes/No prompt to change back or keep the changes.

If you are on Vista, let us know.
John
2 posts Page 1 of 1