Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
I was wondering if anyone uses a website to back up there pictures. Last year after nearly loosing all my pictures on my computer, i have so far backed them up on 2 external hard drives & have them all on CD's. Im very protective of them and a bit paranoid since coming close to loosing them.
I would still feel more comfortable knowing that they are online someplace, just in case. I was hoping someone can recommend a site that you use.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
I nearly lost all my pictures a couple of years ago too. What a terrible feeling that was.

Now I use Mozy.com and love it.

It's something like $5 per month for unlimited backups. I have close to 200 gigabytes backed up there.

The first time you backup will take a long time - like a week or two depending on how many pictures you have. After that, you can schedule backups whenever you want them, and they are much quicker. Backing up 50 to 100 Raw photos takes me maybe a day or two.
I don't use one but should, Jane aka wags uses a different one. Hopefully she will be on soon to tell you about it.
Come to think of it, have not seen her in awhile

Oops, welcome to the forum, Erin. Hope to see you here often
Erin,
Welcome to the forum :D
Thank you, I will check them out. What do you mean you can schedule backups? Does it automatically back up with every addition?

Suzi,
It seems that people are still vacationing one way or another from the holidays. Tomorrow should be the end of it & then it will be business as usual.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
Hi Linda - I use Carbonite (carbonite.com) for my online back-up. I found it via a link from Jane's (aka Wags) blog. It took a long time for the initial back-up but after that, it runs in the background and backs up files as they are changed. When I upgraded my computer this past fall, I was able to restore files from Carbonite and also transfer the back-up so it now backs-up the new computer. The cost is $49.95 for a year and I figure for that $5.00 per month, the peace of mind is well worth it. Would I pay $49.95 to retrieve all my precious photos in the event of a computer crash? You bet I would! Good luck with your research. I'm sure you could PM Wags for info, also.
[size=150][b][color=#4000BF]Linda[/color][/b][/size]
[url=http://www.tootie501.blogspot.com][color=#0000BF]my blog[/color][/url]
[url=http://www.prestophoto.com/photos/?user_id=14677]EIGHT galleries and counting...[/url]
Hi Snowfall,

I have Mozy configured to backup every night after I go to bed. There might be a setting for backing up every time there is a change, but this would slow down my computer too much.
Thanks Linda & Erin.
Im going to look into both of them.
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
7 posts Page 1 of 1