Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
18 posts Page 2 of 2
I've recently started scanning a collection of probably 8,000 kodachrome slides. I don't think I'll live long enough to see it completed! :mrgreen: I have the Epson 4990 (same as Rusty has) and it does an terrific job on slides. The Digital ICE feature that removes scratches and dust is amazing but applying it does add a lot of time to each scan. It scans 8 slides at once. If you are interested in seeing some befores & afters using Digital ICE, send me a PM and I'll try to get something posted for you.
I have an older HP scanner-3900 series, I believe. It was $99 when I bought it at Best Buy 3 years ago. It works great (though it's the only one I've ever used, so what do I know?). The one thing that I am going to look for when I replace it will be the ability to clean under the glass. I live in an old dusty house and I have dust under the glass and I can't clean it, so I will be needing a new scanner when I get tired of cloning out all that dust. That might be one thing you want to look into.
Deb
--------------------------------------------------------------
Deb
I have a Nikon L IV ED, (Nikon has since replaced with the L V I believe). Just great machine. I tried a couple of all purpose flat bed scanners, and they just didn't cut it. It has a lot of great features to make the job quicker and easier!

Wayne
WayneS

Golf is 90% mental ..... the other 10% is in your head
I have an Epson Perfection 4180 Photo Scanner. I have been very happy with it. It comes with templates that you can use to scan negatives and slides, which is one of the reasons I bought it. I had many old negatives of pictures my dad had taken and boxes and boxes of old slides from my husband's family. It has worked well for this--though time consuming.
Youth is ageless for those who know how to play!
PSE5 & 6;Dell Computer;Nikon Digital Camera
Susan's Gallery
I have a Canoscan lide 500f,which also has adapters for slides etc.had no problem with results.Should think it has been updated by now..Dave. :D
I second what Rusty posted on the Epson 4990 scanner. What a great scanner for old photos, slides and negatives. The Epson Store has great deals in the Clearance Center. The Epson 4490 is also good scanner and is available for $98.10 plus free shipping. I had the 4490 for several years and then purschased the new model of the 4990. Both are excellent scanners.

John
Hi KC,

Jane added another section headed "Tools & Accessories" so I started a thread on scanners to see if we can everybody :D to tell us what they use. I think the new section could be helpful as a reference for all our "tools".

Amy
Amy

"If you do everything right the first time, you'll never learn anything new."

General Gallery
Landscapes Gallery
CS4/PSE6/PE4/Win XP (Desktop) Vista Home Premium(Laptop)/Wacom Graphire4/
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 & FZ8
Wao!!!
Jane is on the ball, that is a fine idea. :mrgreen:
Shalom,
Don
A well conseived image is a poem written with light.
PSE6 - Lightroom - CS3 - Win-Vista -Epson 7800
Nikon D80 - D-700 - Canon G9
http://www.condeimaging.com
18 posts Page 2 of 2