Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
13 posts Page 1 of 2
There is a challenge I want to enter on another forum but the photos have to be this? What does it mean and how do you get this??

Image aspect ratio must be 2:3 or 4:3 or 16:9 or 1:1 only
That's the ratio of width and height. For instance 2 inches wide:3 inches tall or vice versa.
Suzi,

As Linda said, end with a little more expansion:

2:3 is pretty much what your DSLR's shoot - 2x3/4x6/8x12 are all relatively the same aspect ratio - when you divide the big number by the little number (for all the math whizzes substitute numerator and denominator as necessary), you end up with the same number - 1.5

For my Canon 30D - 2336x3504 (pixels) = 1.5

The 4:3 aspect ratio is most typical of point and shoot, older TV's and computer monitors my 1024x768 resolution monitor screen is 1.3333333 ....... etc

The 16:9 is more typical of the widescreen/hi-def screens becoming so popular these days that you almost cannot purchase a new 1024x768 screen anymore - the stores just don't stock them.

What I usually do is if I am preparing a slideshow destined for my HD tv or Widescreen laptop is set the crop numbers for the pixels and fudge them into inches. So, for my 1680x1050 LG L222WT monitor I use a width of 16.8 inches by depth of 10.5 inches and crop the image. The cropped shape will fit exactly onto the screen with no black bars and no stretching to fit.

The 1:1 is any square picture - 5x5 12x12 etc.

Hope it helps.
John
Thank you, Linda and John, that helps a lot.
Suzi, If you understood that, than GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!
Linda

Snowfall's Gallery
"struggling to learn"
I am assuming, Linda, that if I crop my image it has to be at the ratio of my camera or a square crop. I hope that is right, right Linda and John.
Suzi,

Not exactly. You can crop any image to any aspect ratio.

Your DSLR shoots in a 2:3 ratio.

If you crop nothing - i.e. the original image straight out of the camera it is 2:3 and will print perfectly on a sheet of 4x6 paper.

Now, if you wanted to crop tour DSLR images to a 4:3 aspect ratio to fit completely and undistorted on yout "old style" monitor or TV (4/3=1.33333etc) then set your width to 10.24 inches and your height to 7.68 (10.24/7.68=1.33333etc) and it will fit perfectly.

So, any image can be cropped to any aspect ratio. In so doing, you usually wind up loosing a small fringe area of your original image, but the crop works and the resultimk image will "fit" wherever you want it to.

I was once preparing a DVD show for a HD tv and didn't know what its resolution was. Simple solution, brought my tape rule, measured the width and height (42/24=1.75) which is pretty close to the 16:9 aspect ratio result of 16/9=1.7777

It may sound complicated, but you are fitting a thing into a hole and it just has to be the same shape (aspect ratio) and you can stretch it out and make it fit perfectly.
John
Thanks, John, I think I got it for sure now. Know now what is needed for the challenge
Just wanted to add that 4:3 is the ratio for nearly all Olympus DSLRs - they're the odd one out and come in for some criticism for it, but I don't see why it's a problem - nearly all DSLR pictures need cropping to fit "traditional" mattes and frames - the standard kind you can most easily get in the shops.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Geoff,

Good point. And almost every picture can benefit from a little cropping and straightening for a print or frame even if is the same aspect ratio as what it was taken in.

I had a friend with one of those unusual frames that had a 2x5 image spot and a couple of other "off" sizes. Had to spend some time with him to explain that once you set the width and height settings for a crop it drew out the rectangle in a size that would then print that on standard size photo-paper - in his case - 4x6, then trim and slip into the frame.
John
13 posts Page 1 of 2