Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
15 posts Page 1 of 2
My 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM came today. For starters, it focuses incredibly fast. Makes me think there's something hinky with my 50 f/1.4. It's raining and overcast, so I wasn't really able to play, but here's a 100% crop. I'm thinking I'm going to love this lens.

If anyone has any macro tips they'd like to share, I'm all ears.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
Believe in your heart that something wonderful is about to happen.
NICE!!!!! :woohoo:

Nikon makes a 105 macro that I would love to have but I am saving my pennies for a new camera.
I am waiting patiently for the D400 to come out.

Plus I still have to order a new laptop but then that is the next thing on the list. :bigwink:
~kimi~
Gone Crazy... Back Soon...

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
Looks great, Sunny. I was just about to PM you to see if you got it!!! Now to get mine, still working on that with DH but still up in the air as to that one first or the 24/105L. Decisions, decisions
Still with the laptop issues, Kimi? I guess you sent your last one back.

Suzi, the 100mm is bound to be less than the L, and I know you'd have fun with it.

I need some nice weather and a decent tripod........guess that's where my next bit of cash will go.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Canon 40D; EF 100mm f/2.8 macro USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Tamron 17-50 f/2.8; EF-S 55-250mm IS.
sarch99 wrote: I need some nice weather and a decent tripod........guess that's where my next bit of cash will go.

Had no idea you could buy nice weather??? :rotfl:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
:rotfl: :rotfl: Guess that sentence wasn't the best. :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
Wow, Sunny the details are fabulous! :thumbsup:
Sunny, what impresses me is the excellent DOF you obtained.
However you resized stripped out the EXIF so I was unable to see what f-stop you used.

My Macro is part of a 70-300 lens and only functions in the range of 180-300mm. For that kind of flower shot I would have been hard pressed to keep as much of the flower in focus as you were able to achieve. I know that in "normal" shooting, a 100mm lens obviously has more DOF than a 180mm. I'm not sure exactly what happens mechanically when the "macro switch" in engaged but I'm going to assume that the focal length difference, even in macro mode, still makes a difference.

You are going to have fun with this.

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Rusty, I checked the data in Lightroom. ISO 200, 1/180 sec. f/4.5

I know I need to get a tripod and a flash, but so far I'm having a ball with the lens. I took a shot of an old building from across the street this morning....it's got those old abestos or slate siding, and the 100% crop actually shows the grain on the shingles and the nail holes.

And, while my focus isn't spot on in this one, it's sure got some nice DOF:

The exif data is intact on these.
Sunny
My Galleries
Sunny's 12 OF 12
oh I want one!! :love:
~kimi~

Gallery ~ a la kimi

My Blog

kimboustany.com
15 posts Page 1 of 2