Tips, tutorials and discussion of photography, cameras and accessories.
27 posts Page 3 of 3
Suzi, "rustic" is right. I'm thrilled that it is still around. It should be, it's that good. But, alas, even the good places can fall on hard times.

You and Carol should get together on your next trio and go there!!!
(give us a photographic review)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
PSA is the Photographic Society of America. Their nature rules tend to be pretty restrictive in terms of digital manipulation. For instance applying a gaussian blur to a busy background would not be permitted. Just basic processing allowed. No composites, cloning out branches, or hdrs, or combining focus programs such as helicon. It may loosen in future. Other categories are not as restrictive.
Oh, thanks Linda.... not too restrictive, then, except for Nature, which is fair...... although they'd have probably banned Ansel Adams for forcing chemicals a bit further, dodging and burning etc. With the RPS they don't distinguish between subjects and, for the submissions, they just recommend "appropriate" post-processing. Always safest to just apply the minimum necessary PP for these things.
PSE6 on WinXP, Pentax K10d...... and now a Canon G10.

Gallery
Actually dodging and burning, contrast/levels are allowed. Pretty much typical things that were done by the master in chemical darkroom.
That's very interesting, Linda

I guess I can understand that if the intent is to recognize "photographic skill" as opposed to "computer skill". The National Geographic for example has very restrictive rules for their various contests. I was talking once to a Milwaukee Journal photographer who told me she was allowed to do almost anything she could get away with in camera but post processing was strictly limited to exposure adjustments and cropping. And I sure can see why news photographers are expected to follow guidelines like that.

This lady, of course, is producing artwork for sale and is right up front in the notes for some of the images about "photoshopping".

PSA sounds like some of the old time film purists that thought even cropping was cheating. 8-)

Rusty
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough. - Robert Capa

www.prestophoto.com/photos/gallery/19932
Thanks for the link. There are some beautiful pictures in her gallery.

Courtney
PSA sounds like some of the old time film purists that thought even cropping was cheating. 8-)

Rusty[/quote]
You hit the nail on the head there Rusty!
27 posts Page 3 of 3